1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved SQL server

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by oldman1943, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldman1943

oldman1943 Thread Starter

I have a server 2012 r2 running SQL server, on the server I have a application that attaches to a data base on this server. Whats happening : I can access the database from the server and the application runs fine. When I try to access from either a windows 10 or windows 7 client it fails. All client are apart of the domain. and seem to be working fine. The application is based on foxpro and passing information to SQL over the standard port (1433). I think the problem is some sort of a permission problem. By the way everything is on a local area network in house. I have tried every thing that I know. As you can tell by my username I am an old guy that be around computers and main frames for 50 plus years. I sure would appreciate some help as this is a side job to my retirement and I need the job.

Thanks in advance for your help

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Did you allow browsing on the server? And enable TCPIP and, maybe, Named Pipes in the SQL Protocol Management?

3. oldman1943

Yes I did and nothing changed. Sorry for the delay.

4. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Have you tried to disable firewalls on both the server and the station? I've had issues with Windows firewall where, even if that port was allowed, I had to disable the firewall, then connect and re-enable the firewall. You may also want to allow the Exe file access. Whatever the executionable file may be. It could be Foxpro.exe but more likely some other name as-so you state-the application is based on Foxpro.
    Also disable any Antivirus s/w, just for testing purposes.

5. imstewart

imstewart

First Name:
    Ian
    Hi Setup SQL server for TCPIP can be a real pain, as there are so many little things that need to setup.

It basically fails to 2 camps.
    1. Setup the server to listen on the correct IP address/Port
    2. Ensure that the firewall is allowing the connection.

Here are a couple Microsoft doc that I use to setup all the parts of the jigsaw.

Hope this helps.

6. oldman1943

Thanks for all the help from you guys

7. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Glad you got it working.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice