1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sql vs mysql

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jVirus, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

which do i use? which is more common in the workplace and where are things going? ps why the sql at the end of both. are they made by the same company?

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

OOPS wrong answer :O .

As stated below, mySQL and SQL are tools to work with databases.

Microsoft has SQL software such as SQL Server (which was affected by the slammer worm you may have heard of).

MySQL is open-source free software.

3. wedor

wedor

SQL stands for Structured Query Language.

4. THoey

THoey

jVirus,

Wedor is correct, Brenden kinda missed the boat. SQL, in it's most generic form stands for Structured Query Language and is used to get, modify or delete data from a database. There are different flavors of SQL, you mentioned MySQL, there is also a version of SQL for Oracle, MS SQL Server, etc. Most of these flavors follow the ANSI standard SQL to some extent.

The first way to choose which version of SQL to use is the database itself. If your database is Oracle, you CAN use MySQL to extract data from it, but you are going to have to know how to set up the connection and what keywords Oracle's DB engine is going to allow.

5. jVirus

jVirus Thread Starter

Looking at web hosting companies, they offer MySQL often though I have not seen SQL offered, though I am sure it is. Does this mean MySQL is more favored, at least on the web?

6. THoey

THoey

I don't think so. If you look at BIG business, most companies are using Oracle, MS SQL Server, Sybase... MySQL is an up and comer, but still a pup...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118560

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice