1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sqwire.com How do I get rid of it???

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ARBAT, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ARBAT

ARBAT Thread Starter

Sqwire.com took over my Homepage and MSN Search. How do I get rid of it? Also known as supiter.

2. RSM123

RSM123

Hope this helps ....

How to get rid of the Xupiter Tool bar:
    First confirm that you have Xupiter by Start>Run> msconfig .. look under the startup tab and see if it is running. Unchecking the box will have no effect because Xupiter just reloads itself at boot. GOING to Xupiter.com and using the uninstaller is also useless because all the uninstaller does is to disable the tool bar, but leaves the program intact and spyware running.

The recommended way to get rid of Xupiter is to d/l the program Ad-aware or Spybot.
    Ad-aware simply removes the program files, but leave the plugin, hidden file and registry parts intact... thus the spyware may still be active. Also, it doesn't fix your search settings or homepage setting or IE toolbar.

I fully endorse the program Spybot - Search & Destroy by PepiMK Software; it is freeware but the programer takes contributions. http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=knowledgebase/threats/index
    Also, at Free Downloads#SpyBot http://shinobiresources.com/downloads.htm#SpyBot
    I like Spybot because, although it can be only a tiny bit aggressive, you control what to remove.. it has a spyware update capablilty like the better anti-virus programs have. Of course both spybot and avg are needed to provide good protection. And perhaps a firewall.
    It also does search and find xupiter. I can't determine if it would find all of it..due to the hidden file xupiter puts on the drive.. but I would bet it does. IT seems to find stuff the ad-aware misses.
    I am not willing to reinfect my machine to find out if it does get all of xupiter... so the manual removal tool is a good reference to check up on it because ad-aware only kills the program and its file folder not the plugin, registry reference, or hidden file.. Spybot does search out the registry.

jcksrobbins 3:06pm December 12, 02
    Xupiter is a search engine, but is very parasitic. It basically takes control of your browser and its settings. It is not dangerous to your computer, but as you already know, it is very annoying.
    Here is some good information on how to remove it:
    http://allentech.net/parasite/Xupiter.html

Manual Removal of Xupiter
    IN MY OPINION: (Be careful you will have to edit your registry for this to work) The only way to rid your system of Xupiter, is the following (win98):
    Delete the directory c:\program files\Xupiter with "FIND" or Win. Explorer. However winfile or dos is a better choice.
    (That will only work if you have set your "folder options" to show all files")
    (Win. explorer> view, folder option, view tab)

IN winfile or dos this is C:\progra~1\Xupiter
    (In winfile .. view, by file type.. all file types and show hidden or system files)
    Using winfile (start, run, winfile) Yes, I said winfile.
    (With show all hidden or system files turned on as noted above) Click down to the following directory.

C:\windows\downlo~1 and look for the Xupiter.ini or .inf file at the bottom of the file list.

Before you delete it, look at the File, properties. IT will give you the name of the plugin that has to be "removed". It should look like this: {A27CFCAE-9351-4D74-BFFC-21EB19693D8C}
    Make a note of it, or skip to the next step (leave winfile open) and then delete it.
    (Note: this file is completely hidden from windows. Win. Explorer cannot detect this file.
    The file has some interesting properties that keeps windows from doing this.
    The whole c:\windows\downloaded program files is a hidden directory. Explorer can "see" that hidden directory, but not this file.)

Next, Right click on the IE icon, and select properties.
    In internet options, click on the "settings", then "view objects" button(s).
    This will open the "downloaded program files" directory.
    This is the only place windows will allow you to "remove" the plugin.
    Find the plugin named above, or highlight all the plugins with the long #'s and right click, then select properties.. to locate the Xupiter plugin.. and then right click and remove it.
    Close the directory..but leave internet options open.

The next step is a very very bad place to play.. Novices be careful! [It is recommended that you make a backup of your registry. See the instruction to make a backup of your registry.]
    Start, run, regedit .
    This opens your registry system file. Mess up this file and you have lots of trouble.
    Before you delete anything you can do a run through and take note of the "find" matches.

Under "edit" select find. Put Xupiter in the search box. Click ok. Delete anything that matches Xupiter
    After each deletetion press F3 to continue the search till you have gone all the way through the registry.

You should get at least 3 matches:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.
    Delete the 'XupiterStartup' entry in the Right Hand pane.

Also delete the following Registry Keys:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xupiter
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{A27CFCAE-9351-4D74-BFFC-21EB19693D8C}

Once your registry is Xupiter free close it and go back to the Internet Options.
    Go to Internet Options, Programs tab, and hit "Reset Web Settings".
    Close Internet Options.

Next, open IE, click on View, Explorer Bar, Search.
    The search pane will open on the left of your browser.
    Side it wider till you can see the "customize" search button and reset all your search choices.

Reboot your computer. If all is right with your system, do this: start, run, scanreg and accept the backup.

You should now be Xupiter tool bar free.

In reference to the xupiter tool bar.. After working on a file to explain how to remove it, I received a note that while ad-aware may not fully remove it till they release ver.6 that spybot is kept up to date...The recommended fix for xupiter is still spybot, but I think my remove by hand is still a complete fix.. Anyone want to infest their machine and see?

However, my remove was written for win98 and maybe ME, I don't know what XP people whould do.

The above found by search on http://google.com

See here also -

http://www.wilders.org - Free Security Software Downloads

Tip - In IE6 go Tools > Options > Advanced - under Browsing you will see two boxes 'Install on Demand' - if they are ticked you should untick them. This will prevent anything installing on your system without asking. In future you will get a prompt that something wants to be installed and you can decline it.

Good Luck,

RSM123

3. steamwiz

steamwiz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice