1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sry for dumb question...BIOS?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PunkPyro912, Feb 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PunkPyro912

PunkPyro912 Thread Starter

im new to computers and i was wondering what BIOS is. I see it mention repeatedly on this forumn and i never knew what it meant :eek: Anyway also ive heard that you can get into it and change it or mess with settings or something? The more info the better, Thanks in advance...

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

BIOS
    bīยดōs) Acronym for basic input/output system, the built-in software that determines what a computer can do without accessing programs from a disk. On PCs, the BIOS contains all the code required to control the keyboard, display screen, disk drives, serial communications, and a number of miscellaneous functions.
    The BIOS is typically placed in a ROM chip that comes with the computer (it is often called a ROM BIOS). This ensures that the BIOS will always be available and will not be damaged by disk failures. It also makes it possible for a computer to boot itself. Because RAM is faster than ROM, though, many computer manufacturers design systems so that the BIOS is copied from ROM to RAM each time the computer is booted. This is known as shadowing.

Yes you can change settings, flash the BIOS, etc. but it's the one area you don't mess with unless you know what you're dioing.

Many modern PCs have a flash BIOS, which means that the BIOS has been recorded on a flash memory chip, which can be updated if necessary.

The PC BIOS is fairly standardized, so all PCs are similar at this level (although there are different BIOS versions). Additional DOS functions are usually added through software modules. This means you can upgrade to a newer version of DOS without changing the BIOS.

PC BIOSes that can handle Plug-and-Play (PnP) devices are known as PnP BIOSes, or PnP-aware BIOSes. These BIOSes are always implemented with flash memory rather than ROM.

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

By the way, I could have typed all that but it would have taken forever so I pasted a definition. I don't normally talk (write) in tech jargon. LOL

I did add the sentence about NOT messing with the BIOS settings.

4. PunkPyro912

ok thanks. Was a good explanation...just didnt exactly understand it all :p but i will with time as i try to understand computesr more and more. I guess i wont mess with it or anything but another question i had was how do you check your systems specs? like i mean everything A to Z. graphics card, motherboard, etc. etc cuz i wanna find out whats in my system as soon as i can. Thanks

5. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

6. bkdc

bkdc

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

8. PunkPyro912

thanks guys...lol last question for today: you can check system temps through BIOS right? I dont wanna mess with the BIOS but could neone tell me how i could check the temperature?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice