1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SSD Accelerator

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by donsor, Dec 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

I'd like your opinion on the pros and cons of the Corsair SSD Accelerator Cache Drive. Also whether this drive is compatible with WinXP HomEd 32-bit OS.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Generally speaking, you would not likely see much difference in the operation of your computer. Very little of the speed of the machine has anything to do with drive speed. Programs run in RAM, and they are loaded typically in very short periods of time.

The exceptions would be some applications that for some reason accessed the hard drive continuously or very frequently, at an intensive level. Caching also tends to make previously accessed data or programs quicker to respond upon initialization the second and subsequent times. But so does Superfetch and ReadyBoost in Windows already.

3. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

So for general use, it won't even be worth buying an SSD over an HDD.

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I can't say I agree. A SSD breathes so much life into even older machines. Especially an older laptops. We have a few Core 2 Duos (1.8GHz - 2.6) and the scream on Vista and 7 with SSDs, and 2GB of RAM.

My desktops are all 7200 RPM drives, and they work great... but they are beefier all around. I can still see times when the SSD would be beneficial though if I could spare the storage space.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It can be beneficial for some work loads however they are not compatible with Windows XP, only Windows 7.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Honestly I would not install one of those; rather install a regular ssd. When you use xp, you have some extra steps you need to do to install xp on a ssd.
    1 Make a partition with the correct offset for installing xp. This can be done using a win7 install disk [easiest way]
    2 Many ssd makers have a GC or garbage collection app you can download [if using xp or vista]

FWIW, I would honestly upgrade to win7 if you want to get all of the benefits of having a ssd. XP has seen its day, in regard to new hardware.

7. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

Thanks for answering my question. I normally check the opinions of members of this website on new PC gadgets which may not be beneficial as advertized. I'm building a new rig and I was just wondering about the cost-benefit of installing an SSD over HDD drives for my primary HD. I'm not a gamer but I play FSX flight simulator game a lot which seemed to very resource demanding game.

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The actual game play of FSX or any game will not be affected by an SSD, what you need a fast processor, lots of RAM, and proper gaming graphics card for that.

If you want a speedy system, then use an SSD as the main boot drive and install the OS and the programs/games on it. Then you'll get really fast load times. An SSD will do marvels to improve the time it takes the computer to boot, to load programs and games. The overall usage will be faster.

9. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

I plan to buy the Asus Sabretooth and the AMD Visher 8 quad processor. I agree I will need lots of RAM but I can increase the amount over time. Also my Radeon HD 6770 may need upgrade. So in effect, if I get, let's say, 120 Gig SSD primarily for use with the OS and my FSX and all other programs assigned to a secondary Hi cap HDD, would that be advisable?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I am sure that 120gig is more than enough. I have win7, office 2007 ultimate, ut2004, ut3 and other basic apps installed and it only uses about 35gig of a 256gig raid array.
    I do turn off system restore, delete hiberfil.sys, and set a fixed page file of 1.5gig.

BTW I use an 8350 8core and could not be happier with the cpu. Works very well and overclocks to 4.5 without a problem.

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Keep the Radeon HD 6770 for now, It's not too bad and it'll likely perform better on a newer platform.

You can also save some money and get a less expensive motherboard, the Sabertooth motherboards cost more and are aimed for hardcore tweakers and overclockers. You can still get an Asus motherboard with an AMD 990X chipset for $140(currently $120 after rebate) and save that money for another component: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131874

That can allow you to get a faster processor, a better quality or higher wattage power supply, or a bigger or faster SSD.

12. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

Great suggestion Triple6. I am opting for an Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990X mobo and
    an AMD FX8320 8 Core AM3+ processor. I've always had good service with Kensington memory sticks but PC dealers seem to push for Corsair. Any thoughts on that? I got a 650W PSU which I hope will suffice.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Do you mean Kingston memory? If so yes that's a good brand, their ValueRam sometimes isn't the greatest though. Corsair is a very good brand and they are one of the brands for RAM, power supplies, and SSD drives.

What brand is the PSU? A quality 650 watt PSU would be perfect and handle pretty much any graphics card if you wished to upgrade the current card down the road. On the other hand a cheap 650 watt PSU may be a fire hazard more than anything useful.

14. donsor

donsor Thread Starter

PSU I had in mind is made by Antec. How about Kensington HyperX memory and Hyperx SSD. Bear in mind that I'm trying to get the best for the dollar.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082963

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice