1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SSD boot issue after psu replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jjonescwc, Jun 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jjonescwc

Jjonescwc Thread Starter

Okay short and sweet,
    Pc shut off, no power. I immediately bought and replaced the power supply with a new higher wattage unit. Computer turned on just fine. When hooking everything back up I forgot to plug in sata connect to my SSD. After realizing I cannot boot into anything but BIOS I took it back apart and plugged in my SSD.
    Well.....low and behold it isn’t working now. All of my windows boot up is stored on my SSD and not my hard drive so I cannot boot at all. Can not find any safe mode. How would I transfers my windows boot files and all other files on SSD to my hard drive to run my computer. Computer is just a prebuilt gaming PC with MSI gaming mother board and the mother board bios is all I can access.

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

If you are using a modular power supply, make sure cables goes to same make and model of the power supply that you replace. The power supply modular cables are not standard from company to the next. I don't think they are the same for each model. After double checking and the cables are correct and have reseated the cables including the SATA, contact your SSD manufacturer. The manufacturer should have a few ways to wake up the SSD. Hopefully, your SSD can get back to work. It doesn't I am sorry that you lost your files and feels you lost yourself.

My Samsung 850 Pro is the first SSD that I bought. As soon as I bought it I did backups. I created a batch script that uses robocopy. It will eventually use 7z and forfiles to rotate the log files and compress them. The following is my batch script of the way I do backups.

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    SETLOCAL

REM Backup desire directories/folders using robocopy

SET sourcebackup=c:
    SET backupdrive=%sourcebackup%\backup
    SET backupmiscdrive=m:
    SET backupdir=%backupmiscdrive%\backup\c-drive

SET "currentbackupdate=%date:~6,4%%date:~0,2%%date:~3,2%"
    SET "defaultbackupoptions=/r:1 /w:0 /mir /e /purge /xj"
    SET "logprefs=/v /fp /np"
    SET "robocopylogfile=c:\robocopylog\robocopy-%currentbackupdate%.log"

SET "excludefile=/xf desktop.ini /xf thumbs.db"
    SET "excludedir=/xd $Recycle.Bin /xd "System Volume Information""

SET "desiredir001=Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common"
    SET desiredir002=Users
    SET desiredir003=DOSBOXDRV-C

REM Step 1: Create Directory Stucture
    REM echo robocopy %sourcebackup%\ %backupdir% %defaultbackupoptions% /xf * /xd c:\backup %excludedir% %logprefs% /log:"%robocopylogfile%"
    robocopy %sourcebackup%\ %backupdir% %defaultbackupoptions% /xf * /xd c:\backup %excludedir% %logprefs% /log:"%robocopylogfile%"
    REM echo _____________

REM Step 2: Backup desire directories
    REM echo robocopy %sourcebackup%\%desiredir002% %backupdir%\%desiredir002% %defaultbackupoptions% %excludefile% %logprefs% /log+:"%robocopylogfile%"
    robocopy %sourcebackup%\%desiredir002% %backupdir%\%desiredir002% %defaultbackupoptions% %excludefile% %logprefs% /log+:"%robocopylogfile%"
    REM echo _____________
    REM echo robocopy "%sourcebackup%\%desiredir001%" "%backupdir%\%desiredir001%" %defaultbackupoptions% %excludefile% %logprefs% /log+:"%robocopylogfile%"
    robocopy "%sourcebackup%\%desiredir001%" "%backupdir%\%desiredir001%" %defaultbackupoptions% %excludefile% %logprefs% /log+:"%robocopylogfile%"
    REM echo _____________
    REM echo robocopy %sourcebackup%\%desiredir003% %backupdir%\%desiredir003% %defaultbackupoptions% %excludefile% %logprefs% /log+:"%robocopylogfile%"
    robocopy %sourcebackup%\%desiredir003% %backupdir%\%desiredir003% %defaultbackupoptions% %excludefile% %logprefs% /log+:"%robocopylogfile%"
    REM echo _____________

REM Step 3: Backup Alternative drive or Miscellaneous drive
    REM echo robocopy %backupmiscdrive% %backupdrive% %defaultbackupoptions% %excludedir% %excludefile% %logprefs% /log+:"%robocopylogfile%"
    robocopy %backupmiscdrive% %backupdrive% %defaultbackupoptions% %excludedir% %excludefile% %logprefs% /log+:"%robocopylogfile%"

I have one ideology for SSD. SSD work today, but they won't work tomorrow. I run my backup script every day.

I suggest buying another hard drive that is equal in capacity or greater and backup the hard drive you have.

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    In the Bios make sure the SSD is the first boot device.

4. Jjonescwc

Jjonescwc Thread Starter

Ok so the boot drive is in first order. When I boot the pc, it takes me to the msi waiting screen and if I do nothing I get a lighted black screen. Almost as if something is running in background. If I enter my password on keyboard it will load my home screen with no icons or ability to pull up any window. What does that mean?

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think you're best move would be to disconnect the SSD and install Windows 10 onto the hard drive (HDD).
    Then you can reconnect the SSD and see if the files are visible.

To do it download the Media Creation Tool from here :- https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Run the tool and make a Usb stick or burn a DVD to install with.

6. tecknurd

tecknurd

The best move is not to turn off the computer. Leave the computer on. Do not disconnect the SSD. It might be best to leave it on in the BIOS screen. I do this when having a hard drive failure, but it might be the opposite for SSD. I don't know. On another computer download Linux Mint. It's a Live Linux distribution, so you don't have to install it. Linux can access NTFS with little to no problems. Any storage devices it detects will be shown on the left side of the desktop. You double click the one of your hard drive and SSD. Windows makes multiple partitions upon install. One drive will be boot and other will be Windows. If you labeled the C drive and your hard drive, it will state the label below the drive icon. Also, it will state the capacity. If you don't know which is which, you can post a snapshot of the screen.

Copy the most valuable data first. Your user directory/folder will be in users. Copy one directory at a time until you got all the data. Do not copy your applications because those can easily be installed after you install windows on a new SSD.

If you take installing Windows on the hard drive route, you won't be able to install Windows on it. This is because it already has a partition that fills the entire space of the hard drive. You have to split the partition on that hard drive. This is dangerous if you don't have a backup. Also, Windows scatters the data on a hard drive, so splitting the partition becomes a multi-step process. You will have to do a space defrag to screen out the space between the data fragments, so the unused space will be at the end of the hard drive and data is in the front. Then you can do a split.

Good luck.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When your pw supply failed, it may have damaged/fried the ssd. I would agree with the above; boot the system with a linux live usb and see if your ssd is detected AND if you can copy/access data files. If you are able to copy the data files, make a backup. Once done, you can secure erase the ssd then clean install windows.
    Note you will not have to input an install key. Since windows 10 was previously installed, windows will phone home on its own and activate itself.

8. Jjonescwc

Jjonescwc Thread Starter

So update, this gets wierd. So tried everything and nothing was working so I hauled the beast up to Best Buy to see what they could do. It passed every diagnostic and I paid $150 for a “failure to replicate issue”

Bring it home plug it in, still ****ing up.
    Call my tech guy, can’t figure out what’s wrong.

Low and behold turns out he hooked up only HDMI to monitor while I’m hooking up Disp and HDMI. So if I only run one cable (doesn’t matter which) everything runs fine. How weird. Before my psu replacement it worked with both cables.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211862

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice