1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SSD Drives (Moved from the Windows 7 forum)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by garystan, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garystan

garystan Thread Starter

Hi everybody :

I'm going through my options of adding a second hard drive. I have a Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Motherboard. Windows 7 Professional-32 bit. My "main" drive is a WD5003ABYX 500Gb Western Digital HD.
    I'm thinking about the option of an SSD. I noticed, on my MB, there is a connector for a SSD drive. It's labeled "mSATA". I did a little research on this. Is it still possible to buy an mSATA drive ? I did some checking, and some of the prices on "regular" SSDs aren't that bad....some around $89. I'd post a pic of this connector, but between the size of the photo file, and being able to attach photos in this forum (I don't think it's possible). I know this much, with a "regular" SSD, I'd probably have to get an adapter, so I could use one of the bays in my tower. Even, if it's NOT possible to be able to find an mSATA, it's not the end of the world.
    garystan

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You could use an SSD anyway. The most common type simply use standard SATA connectors, same as your HDD is using. But yes, you could also use a mSata drive. If you use a standard SATA model, connect it to one of the 6gbs ports.

3. garystan

garystan Thread Starter

Oddba11 (Jim) :
    Thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure about the mSATA part. I just needed clarification, because one web page said it could ONLY be used to enhance the speed of your main drive. Connecting the mSATA would probably make things easier. In that case, just have to get past BIOS recognizing it.
    Thanks
    garystan

4. jbvandijk

jbvandijk

the mSATA is just the smaller laptop-version of the connector, with integrated power supply. I mounted the SSD from my fried-out laptop into an old desktop and it's running like new! :)

Adding a SSD to and older computer will most likely be a real boost in performance, altough a little shopping is recommended. SSD's are getting cheaper, but some are chaep for a reason. Be alert on the read/write speeds and integrety. Samsung offers good quality for a reasonable price, for example. You also want to keep in mind that maybe you want a memory upgrade as well. Pushing all the data from that fancy fast SSD through your system really only works out when your system can halde this kind of speed. Memory no longer costs an arm and a leg these days, so... it's worth considering.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Not really. For the older m2 slot, that is basically correct however the newer m2 4x has 10g/ps way over the 6gig of sata3. The newest m2 sata drives have read speeds up to 1100mb/ps. Here is an example;
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...349&cm_re=m2_ssd_drive-_-20-147-349-_-Product
    Somewhat expensive however if you want the latest and greatest, you have to pay.

That price is not all that much more than what I paid for a 1st gen ocz ssd drive back in 2009 :eek::eek:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1152368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice