1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved SSD failing ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IlyaJevmenovs, Feb 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IlyaJevmenovs

IlyaJevmenovs Thread Starter

Hello. I was recently on a malwareremoval.com and they said I have no viruses but my SSD is failing or something. Is there any help you can give me ? Maybe it can be fixed ?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Well, I doubt it can be "Fixed" however why do you think it is failing?
    What brand of ssd?
    If the mfg has monitoring software, what does the software say about the drive's health?

Since no one [other than you] has any idea what hardware you are running, post ALL of your exact system specs.

3. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
  4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is much better AND recommended to use the drive mfg's monitoring software. That is why the poster needs to post the specs. If and only if there is no monitoring software from the mfg, then use a third party program to check drive health.

5. IlyaJevmenovs

The PC keeps freezing, especially when trying to play games. The screen goes black then image comes back and it's unfrozen. Sometimes I have to reset it. Optane memory was switched off in the Bios today as a possible cause of the harddrive errors, but it didn't help. It still freezes. Heres my spec : Windows 10 Pro, Intel core i9-9980xe, 32 gb or Ram, Gigabyte X299 Aorus Motherboard, Graphics 2 x Asus Dual Geforce RTX 2080 TI, Storage - 2 x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB. Maybe it's a software problem that I have, I don't know.

6. IlyaJevmenovs

Attached Files:

7. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    It's not your SSD. It is operating normally.
    ** That is one NEW high-end PC.

Have you verified you have the latest Gigabyte BIOS for the motherboard ?
    Have you tried setting standard speed for CPU and RAM with no overclocking ?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That cpu is only supported with the latest bios. If you are not running the very latest bios, you need to update to the F8i bios. Note [generally] when you see a letter after a number in a gigabyte bios, it is a beta release however in this case, that is the ONLY bios that supports the cpu you listed.

Before updating the bios, be sure you read and FULLY understand the flashing procedure. That board has the gigabyte dual bios so updating the bios is pretty much idiot proof however do read and follow the flashing procedure [if you do not already have the latest bios]
    Note the ONLY way I ever update a gigabyte bios is by using Qflash which is built into the bios and NOT a windows based utility.

9. IlyaJevmenovs

Just updated the Bios using Qflash. How do I turn off the overclocking on the CPU and Ram ?

Updating the Bios possibly fixed the PC. No freezing.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

When you update the bios, it should load defaults and all settings returned to stock. If that did not occur, then simply enter the bios and load defaults. Save settings are restart. Done.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW only use the samsung monitoring software called samsung magician. This will tell you the drive's health, whether you are running the latest firmware, run a performance check of your drive, update firmware for you, etc, etc, etc.

Do go to the samsung site and download/install the samsung driver. It provides quite a boost in performance over the ms driver.

12. IlyaJevmenovs

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. Do not do multiple benchmarks on a ssd. It is fine to do one however when you do repeated benchmarks one after another, you can end up with a drive that throttles itself so that TRIM can correct excessive use/wear of memory.
    SSD drives are much better now than when they first were released AND do not require as much care as the first gen of ssd however I would still not do repeated read/write benchmarks to the drive.

jawnTEM likes this.
  14. IlyaJevmenovs

It still freezes. Just froze and tried to restart but failed. Had to restart it manually a few times.

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Start doing some troubleshooting; start by downloading memtest
    https://www.memtest.org/
    Make the bootable usb and boot your system with the usb. Let memtest run for at minimum of 1hr to see if you have any memory errors. One error is too much.
    Next post the following info; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Do this twice; once under a normal load and once while running a stress test ie prime95 or OCCT [both free downloads] Let the stress test run for at least 2min before posting the info. This will let temps and voltages stabilize.

Since you have a gigabyte board, go to the support page and download both app center and system info viewer or SIV. Once you get those installed, use siv to monitor temps and voltages.

jawnTEM likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice