1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SSD for OS drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alyehoud, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alyehoud

alyehoud Thread Starter

I've read conflicting opinions about using SSDs for a main drive with OS. The one negative I read was that SSD's aren't meant as much for constant use so it would cause the drive to die much faster than a standard drive. Is this accurate and a bad idea to use as a primary drive?

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

An SSD has a mean lifetime, which in the early versions was not so good. recent ones have increased hugely, and will keep going happily as long as most normal HDDs. Using it for the OS makes sense, as this is where the majority of the speed increase will be apparent.

3. Smety

Smety

I have an SSD boot drive (OS drive) and I freakin' love it :)

4. alyehoud

alyehoud Thread Starter

Great! I guess I just had read older material on it. Gonna buy one now thanks!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have been running an ocz drive for win7 for about 5 months now. It is the single biggest performance boost you can give a system; could not be happier with it. The single ssd blows away my old raid0 array [2 WD high performance disks]

SSDs are not hard drives so you need to make some changes to the os OR just run one of the ssd tweak utilities. In addition, win7 is the only ver of windows that has TRIM support so I would make sure you use win7 for the os.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I'm running a 64gig WD SSD .. Setup with XP .. For about 6 month now, It's still going strong
    I've been pouring a huge amount of work thru it .. Video and Image editing.
    From what I've read and heard .. I didn't think it would last this long.

A few more months, And I figure it might be worth getting another.
    I've been spoiled and really don't want to go back to mechanical.
    Don't think you want to use the SSD to store Data in .. If you have a bunch.

Attached Files:

• 11.gif
      11.gif
      File size:
      57.1 KB
      Views:
  7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It should last longer than that. Mine is 5 months old and when I run the ocz toolbox, it says 100% of drive life remaining. That is after 2 secure erasings of the drive and reinstalls.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Here's hoping it will last at least a year at my usage rate.
    I realize that I'm handicapped by installing XP .. But that's better than the alternative ... IMHO

Had a mouse jumping problem .. And was tempted to preform a fresh install .. But I got it fixed without doing that.
    I'm glad you mentioned the re-installs .. I wont be so reluctant the next time.

This is kind of a test for me .. To see how long I can push it.
    I normally fresh install every 3 months or so .. The first little hiccup and it's rewritten.

If I may ask a Quick Question ..
    If I format with W7 .. Then clone XP to it .. (or recover from an Acronis Image) ..
    Is it formatted properly for a SSD ??

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not think formatting with win7 is going to make a difference. Since you are running xp, you have a few options;
    1 The drive maker probably has some type of app that does the same basic thing as TRIM. For ocz, they call it garbage collection. You could run that every week or so.
    2 Next option is to make an image of the current install or make one of your clean install. Secure erase the drive and restore the image. This is what has to be done when someone uses raid since TRIM does not work in raid.

Here is what I use for secure erasing the drive. Very quick and easy to use.
    http://download.cnet.com/Parted-Magic-LiveCD/3000-2094_4-10663999.html

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

FWIW I just did a clean install a few days ago. When I do this, the first step is a secure erase of the drive then boot with the win7 install dvd and have at it. My only complaint with this drive is that the software ocz uses to preform the firmware updates needs some work. It is a convoluted process at best to update the firmware; other than that the drive itself has been flawless.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    To Insall XP .. The SSD must be formatted differently.

I've read that W7 does this automatically.
    I'm not looking forward to trying to figure out diskpar again .. I might have to read a little again :D

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I see what you mean. If the image you are restoring was done this way, I do not see why you would need to format again. The image has the formatting you need so you would only need to do this once. Before restoring I would secure erase the drive. This should give you a new condition drive to work with; restore the image and done.

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Thinking about a new SSD .. To have ready when this one wears out .. (Hoping the prices will drop some more soon)
    Never was sure I did it right using Diskpar.
    Many Thanks again .. I've hijacked this thread long enough.

14. alyehoud

alyehoud Thread Starter

I was following along myself, good questions :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971445

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice