1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SSD Fragmentation???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by raybro, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Been doing some reading online about SSD's and, since I've just ordered a 160GB Intel X25-M SSD, have a couple of questions about their use. I deduced so far that fragmentation as it applies to HDD's is not a concern with SSD's. The problem with SDD's is a bit different. Following is a quote from this website
    Other information suggests one use a feature called TRIM with SSD's which, at least on first blush, does essentially the same thing as Diskeeper 12 Pro, just a slightly different way.

Would just like to know if anyone has had any experience with either TRIM and/or Diskeeper 12 Pro (on Win 8, if possible) and their opinions regarding the value using one or the other with an SSD.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just my opinion however I would not install a third party defrag app with a ssd. Occasionally log OFF and let the system sit for an hour or two. TRIM works when the system is not doing anything ie logged off. If you still have problems with performance, then do the following;
    1 Make an image backup of your system using acronis true image. Store this on a second drive, external, NAS, etc
    2 Boot with parted magic linux and secure erase the ssd [do be careful to select ONLY the ssd]
    3 Boot with your acronis boot disk and restore the image.

Done and your ssd is refreshed or in the same condition as new.

http://partedmagic.com/doku.php

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I have had zero issues just using Trim...

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    To add, all you need is TRIM support by the operating system and internal GC that's supported by the drive, that's all you need to keep it operating well. You do not need any useless third party junk ware to keep the SSD working well. This consolidation of files or free space just adds more reads and write to the SSD increasing the wear on the drive and wear leveling algorithms move data around on the SSD as needed, internally and regardless of third party software doing its 'supposed' thing. Sadly this is a last ditch attempt by obsolete companies trying to stay alive where defraging even mechanical drives has little value and none on an SSD.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083106

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice