1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved ssd install

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by larryh10000, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. larryh10000

larryh10000 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 10197 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7570, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 911 GB (832 GB Free); D: 19 GB (2 GB Free);
    Motherboard: PEGATRON CORPORATION, 2AD5
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

I will be removing my HDD drive and replacing it with a SSD. I know for sure I have two USB 3.0 ports supported so I can plug in 3.0 flash drives in the front of my pc case, but this is a bit of different than this question.

Once I physically install the SSD drive inside my desktop pc, I know I need to plug in a SATA power cable and a SATA data cable.

My question is this: how can I tell (visually) which SATA Data header is a 3.0 header and not a 2.0 header?

Hope I have explained this okay.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Sata ports take sata cables. USB comes in 3.0 and 2.0, and 3.1. Sata cables carry at 3 gb's and 6gb's depending on your particular motherboard. I can't seem to punch up a picture of your Motherboard. Is this a desktop or laptop?

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You are not going to plug a ssd into a usb port. While there are adapters that would allow you to do so, it would not be what you want to do. Since you reference a data/pw cable, I assume you are asking about a standard ssd and not a M.2 type of drive. Use the same data/pw cables you used for your old drive. That makes it very easy.

4. larryh10000

The computer is a desktop. I realize I can't plug an SSD into a usb port - I'm talking about the data cable - one end goes into the SSD data port and it's the other end that attaches to the MB data cable header. There are usually 2 - 4 of these headers on a MB. Does it make any difference with of these headers I plug the data cable into - I mean are any of these 2 - 4 headers faster than the others? If so, how can I tell which one is the fastest?

5. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Yes. Some of the headers are faster than others on most motherboards. You will want to plug it in on the 6 gb's per second headers, if possible. (consult your motherboard manual) You will also want to enable AHCI in the bios to take advantage of this.

6. larryh10000

Thanks Paul23,

This is the exact model of this PC: HP Pavilion HPE h8-1360t CTO Desktop PC

I did a terrible job explaining what I was getting at :( I have no idea why I brought USB into my question at all - I know you can buy SATA 2.0 and SATA 3.0 data cables and therefore I thought it was possible that one or more of the SATA data headers on the MB might be faster than some of the others - and your answer of finding the 6 gigabits per second header is what I need to find and use.

Thanks first of all for your patience and 2nd thanks for providing the answer I was looking for. I do have the manual for this computer and it shows plainly the SATA headers on the MB but it doesn't get specific as to which one or one's are the 6 gbs headers. I'll still have to figure out which one is the 6 gbs header because I'll be buying a 3.0 SATA data cable so I can only assume that the faster 6 gbs SATA header will require a 3.0 SATA cable and not a 2.0 SATA data cable.

7. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
  8. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    If you hard drive was originally formatted with IDE (not AHCI) ((if you have already formatted and installed an operating system)). You will have to do a total re-install of Windows unless you know how to do the registry tweaks to make the switch. i, personally, have never attempted that route.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Attached Files:

10. larryh10000

Don't know how you got those great links but it spells out specifically the Internal connectors . So I have 6 SATA 2.0 connectors - the 0 and 1 connector are 6gbs and connectors 2-5 are 3gbs. I want to select either the 0 or 1 for my SSD. Those headers are usually marked pretty plainly I think.

Don't know how the hard drive was originally formatted (IDE or AHCI) but I guess I can go into the BIOS and see how it set now couldn't I? Wouldn't the BIOS show me that now?

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

In Very Small Print :D
    Best to see my attachment .. bottom 2

12. larryh10000

Yes, the attachment motherboard diagram clip shows them perfectly as you have arrows to the 0 and 1 headers which I will use.

13. larryh10000

Yes, Paul - I went into the Device Manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers and it states this: Intel (R) 7 series/C216 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Contoller. So it is already set to AHCI so it looks like I'm good-to-go there.

Also discovered that SATA data header O is the header to use for the boot drive and is 6mbs, so I will be connecting one end of the SATA data cable to the SSD and the other end to the SATA O header on the MB.

14. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    you need to check in the BIOS to set it to AHCI.

15. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice