Ssd installation missing sata strips

Hussainaliyah777

Hey there i needed some help with installing an ssd onto my laptop i reopened this laptop after years after the old ssd got locked with bitlocker by accident so i forgot bout it but i now need to install an ssd into it but can see i am missing the sata connector aswell as another tab missing but i dont know what this is i would like to know what i need to reconnect this thank you

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This looks like it could be your SSD ...

1602946814564.png

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I don't think he believed me ... ;-)

It's not really clear but maybe he is referring to the empty 2.5" bay at top/left.

What is the make+model number of the laptop?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
He may very well be, but unless the connector is hidden underneath that metal structure near the base of that empty area, it looks like it was not designed for a SATA drive. Or, that may have been an option not on this particular model. Or, the mfr. has a kit that may be purchased to adapt a SATA drive with a cable. I don't even see any mounting holes or studs for a 2.5" drive.

Whatever the case, the SSD in this laptop is the M.2 device I (and crjdriver) have circled in red.

's not really clear but maybe he is referring to the empty 2.5" bay at top/left.
Usually that area is reserved for a CD/DVD drive. The standard 2.5" HDD/SSD are generally mounted in the middle of the unit. Most laptop mfg's are going CD/DVD bayless along with standard form factor drives and opting for the M.2 drives. It's just cheaper.

All that said....Gr3iz and crjdriver are correct.....the SSD is the M.2 form factor circled in red.

Hussainaliyah777

Hey guys sorry if i didn't make it clear i have the ssd drive seperate but i need to install it into the laptop in the hard drive bay BUT i need to know what sata connectors i need, i know there is one main connector but there is also another which i dont know what it is i tried to use a sata connector for the ssd from another laptop but the strip was too big to fit into the tab which further confused me...

I have circled the 2 tabs which i am asking about i know one is the connector but i sont know what size and what type, i also need to know what the second connector is and what i need for that.

Thank u guys ❤

Attachments

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It would appear that that particular model did not come with a SATA drive. The cable is not a common part, it is proprietary to that make/model (which you have not identified). If you find out which connector to use, and find a cable to use, how do you plan to mount the drive (physically)? I see no place to screw the drive in place.

Maybe you can find a manual online and determine the cable part number and connection location.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I just added a 2.5" SSD to my HP laptop. It came from the factory with a M.2 SSD. Fortunately, there was already a SATA header in place. Even though the slot/space is there for a 2.5" drive, the manufacturer may or may not have included the SATA header connector. If not, you'll have to source that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online