1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SSD issue with new firmware and SFC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by paulb100, Jan 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

basically

i have 2 Samsung EVO 840 in RAID '0' - this prevents me from upgrading the firmware (there is a new one)

but worst off all SFC / SCANNOW (both in windows 7 x64 and safe mode) say that it found problems but could not fix them?

ive been told that the SSD(s) could be on their way out - the computer seems to work fine and AS SSD reports 1020MB/s / 780MB/s / 160,000IOPS

[​IMG]

im just concerned about this SFC issue and not being able to upgrade the firmware (as its RAID and not recognized)

can any one help

thanks

2. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

The Samsung firmware update tool does not support raid setups. You would have to delete the array and switch back to AHCI mode. Also any hardware encryption would have to be disabled.

Far as the sfc scan have you checked the cbs.log to see what's going on?
    %WinDir% \Logs\CBS\CBS.log

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You don't have to delete the array, just switch to AHCI and update the firmware using the bootable ISO image they provide - it can also be done from a bootable CD or USB stick with the ISO but requires a few more steps to get the ISO working from a USB stick. Then enable RAID and it should see the previous array and boot. BUT you should backup just to be sure especially if the firmware is destructive and wipes the drives or in case something goes wrong.

Why does someone think they are on the way out?

4. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

thats what i tried... i have a bootable disk Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_EXT0BB6Q.iso i can not boot into even by using overide
    and
    i have this file which appears to have the fw inside
    Samsung_SSD_840_EVO_EXT0BB6Q.zip
    DSRD.enc
    EXT0BB6Q.enc

what do I do here?

thanks

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You need to use a tool like Rufus to make it work from USB.

6. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

thanks for your help Triple6 :)

so will i need to drop the FW file into RUFUS? how does it know what to do with it? surely you need some sort of Samsung software on their>

i dunno if it were clear but the above files/folders were separate...

I was told to switch to AHCI then unplug one drive, update via USB? then vice versa and then put RAID back on and both wil have latest fw on there

atm im tempted to sell the drives and get a 250Gb EVO 850 if I cant get this sorted, then I can use RAPID , upgrade fw, be sure TRIM is working (though its supposed to be in the driver i using)

it was just nice having 1020MB/s read - 800MB/s write and 160,000 IOPS - but checking it out reveals they wont make performance faster in the real world..if anything add 2 seconds onto boot for the raid util

cheers

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    ISO need to burned to a CD/DVD as an image. Rufus allows you to take that ISO CD image and turn it into something that can boot from a USB stick. It doesn't affect what's inside the ISO image such as the FW update.

8. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

thanks

so i just use RUFUS to drop in these two files on th USB?

DSRD.enc
    EXT0BB6Q.enc <-fw

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    No, use Rufus with the original ISO.

Go here and download Rufus: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Open it and select your USB drive, it will format it so backup the stuff first. Then change the option to ISO and select your ISO file.

Attached Files:

10. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

ok, thanks again for your help

i did it that way but too scared too try in case it didnt work lol, however i have your confidence now

thanks very much :)

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Before you do any firmware update on ssd drives in raid0, make sure you have an image backup of the raid array [you should be doing this in any case]
    Usually a firmware update does not cause data loss however it never hurts to have a backup.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Some SSD firmware updates are destructive and wipe/reset the entire drive. My older OCZ drives had several.

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, I had 2 of the old ocz vertex drives [both failed and were replaced by ocz under warranty] I do remember some of their updates did caution that data loss was to be expected.

I think I gave those refurbished drives to my kid. I just did not trust them after both failed [one shortly after the other]

14. paulb100

paulb100 Thread Starter

thank crjdriver and triple6 - I do this twice a week on Tuesday and Thursday at or after 6pm

it then puts the machine back to sleep :)

I use Acronis :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140732

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice