SSD issues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mxtrr

I have recently built my first PC and I am setting up the software for it. I have windows installed and the next thing I was told to do was format an ssd for my games. I have the ssd and when I go to format it, it doesn't show up. I have tried everything from restarting my pc, replugging things in, and reinstalling the ssd into the back of the pc. I really could use some help, is my SSD just bad?

crjdriver

Post a screenshot of disk management. Right click start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter. Post it here and not on a third party site.

Mxtrr

Post a screenshot of disk management. Right click start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter. Post it here and not on a third party site.
I have gone into my disk management and the computer does not recognize it. I have looked at videos where I would go into the disk management and there is usually something there other than the first ssd that was installed, but mine only shows the first one installed.

crjdriver

Does this drive show up in the bios? If not, there are only three possibilities;
1 The drive has failed
2 The sata cable has failed OR the pw connector has failed
3 The port on which you have the drive connected is disabled in the bios

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Am I correct in assuming you have 2 separate SSD's in your computer?
If you do, which numbered SATA ports on the motherboard are they connected to?
Are those specific SATA ports enabled in the BIOS?

---------------------------------------------------

Mxtrr

Does this drive show up in the bios? If not, there are only three possibilities;
1 The drive has failed
2 The sata cable has failed OR the pw connector has failed
3 The port on which you have the drive connected is disabled in the bios
It does not show up on the bios. Is there a solution to try in the bios where I activate the ports for which the ssd is connected?

Mxtrr

Am I correct in assuming you have 2 separate SSD's in your computer?
If you do, which numbered SATA ports on the motherboard are they connected to?
Are those specific SATA ports enabled in the BIOS?

---------------------------------------------------
I am not currently next to my pc. However, I do know that there are 6 separate SATA ports on the motherboard. Is there a way to check which SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS when I am able to? Thanks for the response!

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You did not answer my first question, so we do not know how many SSD's you actually have in your computer.

Mxtrr

You did not answer my first question, so we do not know how many SSD's you actually have in your computer.
I have an M.2 SSD and an Internal SSD. So to answer your question, yes I do have two SSD's

crjdriver

s there a way to check which SATA ports are enabled in the BIOS
Read your motherboard manual. Each board mfg and sometimes even each bios revision has different menus and or options. Giving you detailed instructions would be next to impossible. It would REALLY help if you posted ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact motherboard, exact processor, etc.

crjdriver

I have an M.2 SSD and an Internal SSD. So to answer your question, yes I do have two SSD's
OK, that makes a difference. It would have been helpful to know you had a M.2 drive. On some boards, one of the sata ports is disabled when you install a M.2. Since we have no idea what motherboard you are using, it is not possible to tell you IF this is a factor.

Mxtrr

crjdriver

I looked at the online manual and it is just about useless. Hopefully the manual that came with your board has more info.
Have you tried a different sata port?

Mxtrr

I looked at the online manual and it is just about useless. Hopefully the manual that came with your board has more info.
Have you tried a different sata port?
I looked at the manual that came with the board, it's not extremely helpful. However, I have tried using a different SATA port but when I get home I can try to get into the bios and see if they are enabled.

Mxtrr

I looked at the manual that came with the board, it's not extremely helpful. However, I have tried using a different SATA port but when I get home I can try to get into the bios and see if they are enabled.
How likely will it be that I have a bad SSD? Everything is brand new and I built it yesterday. Sorry with this bombardment of questions, but I hope you understand my frustration with this. I thought I was prepared to build a new pc but I guess I always have to be ready for a challenge thrown at me lol.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online