1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SSD Migration Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zacii, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zacii

zacii Thread Starter

Good morning everyone,

I've bought Samsung SSDs before, and used Samung's Migration software to clone and replace HDDs in two different desktops.

I bought a 500 GB Samsung SSD to replace the 1 TB HDD in my 6 year old HP Envy Dv6 laptop.

I've tried three times to do the clone, but each time I have problems.

Here are some pictures of the error messages that I'm getting.

I didn't think that I would have problems going from a larger HDD to a smaller SSD, since the amount of data that I'm trying to clone is about 350 GB.

Any ideas for help?

20180719_135251.jpg 20180718_172507.jpg

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

How exactly did you do the clone? From what I can find, your laptop only has a single hard drive bay.

3. zacii

zacii Thread Starter

I used a USB connector

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That may be why you have problems. Try making an image of your current drive using acronis true image; store the image on an external drive, NAS, network share, etc. Once done, shutdown and pull your drive out. Install the ssd. Boot with the acronis boot usb and restore the image to the ssd.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I have used the samsung data migration tool many times however I have never attempted to use it with a usb/external.

6. zacii

zacii Thread Starter

I used the same USB connector for the other drives that I cloned, and everything worked fine.

I'll try your suggestion. If Acronis will let me do it without buying their software.

I'm unsure of how to go about using the Acronis boot usb to restore the image to the SSD.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Another option would be to backup whatever data files you need and just clean install windows on the ssd. While this is some work, it is another option if you cannot restore an image.
    Note there are free imaging programs however I have not used a free one in quite some time.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    That's how I did it on my HP G6 .....
    Acronis is on sale for $9.99 after MIR ... Promo code EMCPWRP62
    expires 7/26

Install Acronis > Make a Boot disc > Remove Acronis > run Acronis from the boot disc
    Make an Image > restore the SSD from the image.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Install the SSD > insert the boot disc > start the g6 > tap esc until you have a choice > choose to boot from the CD.
    First .... Tools > Add a New Disc > choose the SSD.
    Then ... restore the SSD from the Image

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just my opinion however I do all imaging/restoring from the boot disk. This removes windows from the issue [the acronis boot disk is actually a version of linux]

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213239

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice