SSD not showing up in disk management

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jaqhg

Recently purchased a new SSD (Samsung EVO), have a SATA 3 cable connecting it directly to my motherboard in the SATA1 slot (SATA 0 has a 1TB hard drive). I have not initialized the SSD or anything and was under the impression simply plugging it in like this would allow it to show up in my disk management folder as unallocated, but nothing shows up there besides my current disks.

My question is what can I troubleshoot to see if I can fix this issue? I'm pretty sure my PSU is ample.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit, Build 9600, Installed 20180318210658.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Hard Drives: C: 913 GB (593 GB Free); D: 15 GB (1 GB Free);
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard 2AF3, ver 1.0
System: AMI, ver HPQOEM - 1072009, s/n 2MD4510MPT
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

crjdriver

have a SATA 3 cable connecting it directly to my motherboard in the SATA1 slot
You do have pw connected in addition to the sata cable correct?
Next is the drive IDed in the bios?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
SATA-0 is showing the hard disk drive?
SATA-1 is not showing the solid state drive?

Did you confirm both the power and data cables are securely connected to the solid state drive?

------------------------------------------------

jaqhg

SATA-0 is showing the hard disk drive?
SATA-1 is not showing the solid state drive?

Did you confirm both the power and data cables are securely connected to the solid state drive?

------------------------------------------------
I solved it by tinkering with the power cables some more. Apparently even though the power cable I was using had a slot to fit my ssd, it wasn't the correct cable. Plugged in the power cable already attached to my hard drive and it worked (it had two separate connections). Thanks for the help.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online