1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved SSD or Platter Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alwrmc, Jan 9, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I believe I am misunderstanding something about having an SSD drive (Drive C) and a Platter type HD (Drive D).
    Windows is installed on the SSD (240gb) and it boots up quickly from there.
    When I install software, i.e. Photoshop Elements, Norton, Office 365, games etc. Do I need to re-direct their installation to the "D" drive....the platter type HD.
    What about driver software and driver updates?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you have really large software programs, you can install on the mech drive. It is up to you. Just choose custom install when installing software and direct it to the D drive.
    As with any drive, you should not have your ssd completely full; leave at the very least 10% unused or free. Other than that, install wherever you want.

3. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    crjdriver thank you for your prompt response. I'm still a bit confused. I have a new machine I am just getting connected and setting up. My software list is (to me) rather lengthy. It will surely fill and more on a 240GB SSD.
    If I direct the various programs to install on the mech/platter/"D" drive will I encounter any problems with saves/folders and files. etc? In other words, when I install Photoshop Elements on the "D" drive will it's default settings go to the SSD ("C") or will they default to the same drive the software is installed on? Will they default to the "D" drive. I believe my last computer with an SSD filled to the brim with programs, files, updates etc. Most of the software I have ever installed wants to default to the "C" drive.
    I hope I am making myself clear on what I'm concerned with here. Terminology tends to vary among people so that what I say and understand might not be the same understanding to yourself or anyone else reading this.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not use photoshop however most programs have a preferences/settings that will allow you to save data wherever you want. Sometimes this is called the output folder [I do a lot of video rendering and most programs call it output ie where you want the finished file saved]

My guess is that when you install photoshop to the D drive, it will save things on D however that is a guess since I do not use photoshop.
    I just checked my system drive [windows 10, Office 2016, various utilities, etc and it is only 26gig used out of a 480gig M.2 drive.

5. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    Thank you again. It will take a few days to get the new machine set up with all the things I currently have on this one. I'll try to remember to return and mark this solved if everything works out for me.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

All my installed programs are in my C: SSD ... 250g Samsung 860EVO
    Photoshop loads really fast.
    All Data is in my HDDs ... Photos and Video .... (twins for backup)
    My HDDs are also my Photoshop CS5 and Premiere Elements 13 or PS Elements 18 scratch discs.
    I think I'm fully loaded and still have spare SSD space ... (not sure about games)

Photo and Video working files being in my WD Black HDDs don't seem to slow me down at all.
    I routinely load several photos into Photoshop at once.
    With Irfanview, I can customize my context menu and open a bunch in PS with 2 clicks.

I'm using W7 ... My Premiere Elements 18 will only work in W10.
    My PS Elements 18 seems OK in W7.
    I hear that all new Adobe's will only work in W10 ???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 8:48 AM
  7. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I believe we can mark this one solved. Thank you for your responses, very helpful.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice