Solved Ssd or ram?

Diannakay

hi,
I have adell insiron 17 3793 laptop, I am a photographer so do all my editing on it, I use photoshop and lightroom open at the same time and these are other heavy programs.
My laptop has only 8gb ram and 128gb SSD pls had memory.
I find my laptop works so and these programs are not woking fast.
My laptop is only 1 year old.

I would like to know if anyone has advice for me?
Would it help me to get an external SSD hard drive to work of?
Or is it better for me to upgrade my ram from 8gb to like 32 gb?
Or should I do both of these upgrades?
Or am I best of buying a new laptop eventhough it is only 1 year old?
Thankd

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Welcome to the forum, @Diannakay

In order to understand better what we are dealing with here, please download and run the TSG System Information Utility on the affected PC, and then post the results back to this thread.

Once we have that information, we can ascertain the best way forward for you.

Diannakay

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19042, Installed 20210525164018.000000+180
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 126 Stepping 5, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce MX230
Hard Drives: C: 99 GB (37 GB Free); D: 931 GB (751 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0C9WH2, ver A00, s/n /39W6G13/CNCMC0001L0073/
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 20170001, s/n 39W6G13
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Diannakay

This is what came up...
Anyone know if I'm best of buying an external SSD hard drive or upgrading my ram to 32gb? Or both?

Thank you

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'd suggest a Samsung 500gb SSD for your main drive and possibly more RAM
The only speed difference I notice ... The SSD will initially load Photoshop and/or Premier alot faster.
Operating speed is about the same.
I use an external HDD for USB offline (second) storage

Diannakay

I'd suggest a Samsung 500gb SSD for your main drive and possibly more RAM
The only speed difference I notice ... The SSD will initially load Photoshop and/or Premier alot faster.
Operating speed is about the same.
I use an external HDD for USB offline (second) storage
Thanks for your help.

When you say a samsung 500gb SSD do you mean I should use as external hard drive or I should change the SSD hard drive I have in the laptop to this one? Or is there no difference?

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Based on the service tag of your Dell, this is an Inspiron 3793 notebook. This will only accommodate a maximum of 16GB of DDR4 RAM. If it has 1 x 8GB DIMM installed on it already, it'll be easy enough to add another 8GB DIMM. However, if it has 2 x 4GB DIMMs then you'll have to purchase either 2 x 8GB DIMMs or 1 x 16GB DIMM to max out the memory.

Jay's recommendation, and I agree with him, is to replace the current SSD where your operating system is loaded with a 500GB model. The apps will certainly load faster, plus you'll have more room on that drive for extra apps.

Tanis

Shane
I agree with the above, a bigger SSD will give you more working space and will provide a small performance increase when it comes to opening apps.

I would definitely recommending getting more (maxing) RAM, this will provide an overall performance boost when using apps like photoshop etc as these will typically want to store larger amounts of data in RAM when you are working on them.

Noyb

Jay
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I use the SSD for my C: Drive (internally) operating system only - (easier to change)
The 500 gig has twice the the TBW durability of a 250 for ~~$15 more - (cheaper in the long run)
I normally operate from program storage in a second internal HDD or external.
A SSD will improve the big program initial load time ...
and more RAM will handle more running programs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online