1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SSD place swap

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 404teamnotfound, Sep 15, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. 404teamnotfound

404teamnotfound Thread Starter

I have an Asus z270E motherboard and a Samsung 960 pro, my motherboard has two m.2 ports and for some reason for a start i'm getting 1.7gb speeds on it so i was wandering if changing the port would do anything but i'm scared to do this if i change what port it is it might wipe out any data? can someone clarify any of this thanks.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, IF data is important to you, you make multiple backups on separate media. Data you do not backup is data you do not care about.
    I checked the specs on your motherboard and you should have the drive in M.2 2 and not the 1 socket.
    In addition, samsung has a nvme driver available for download. I saw a significant improvement in read/write speeds after installing this driver.

To answer your question, you should be fine to put the drive in the other slot [if you installed in slot1] My 960 does around 3000mps or so give or take a little; each benchmark is slightly different.

3. 404teamnotfound

404teamnotfound Thread Starter

Thanks i appreciate the response i'm not too sure if where I have put the SSD is in the incorrect spot i mean it fits perfectly and is just above where my graphics card is, also could you please send me the link to the driver so I don't download something else that is useless thanks!

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216548

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice