Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

SSD problem [Intel 330]

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hey Tech support guys/gals, i have run into a annoying problem with my new Intel 330 SSD.

First of all here my specs:
650W Corsair CMPSU-650TXEU
AMD Phenom2 X4 940 3.0Ghz, AM2+ Black Editio
Asus M4N72-E, sAM3
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) XMS-2 8500C5
Asus GTX 570
500GB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA II
1tb Seagate

A couple of days ago i finally had it with thease long startup times in windows so i decided to buy a brand new SSD to install a fresh copy of windows on and use my other two drives for storage, heres what i did:

I flashed my bios with newest firmware
I copied all inportant documents to an external HDD
i made sure via the INTEL SSD TOOL that i had the newest firmware for my SSD
i shut down the PC and disconected all HDDs except my SSD and Changed my bios to ACHI, and shut down comp
(this is were the problems begin )

when i turned my Pc back on my bios could not find the SSD (found it fine in IDE), so i shut it down and plugged my old windows HDD back in and "ding" the SSD showed up in BIOS, so i booted my windows CD and begain the installation

after sucsessfull install of windows (on new SSD) i started downloading all drivers and chrome and soforth until i shut down the PC. A couple of hour later i turned it back on and to my horror the Bios could not find my SSD, so i restarted, still no SSD in bios so i turned off my comp and turned off the switch on the back of my PSU and tried to start again,
AND IT WORKED! so i went into windows and started surfing but after a while i got BSOD.

Bottomline: my comp will only find SSD from "cold boot" also get BSOD randomly(every 10-60 min).

Precautions ive taken so far:
*Cold booted windows with only SSD plugged in (still only works cold boot)
*made sure via AS SSD that my drive is in ACHI mode
*made sure via INTEL SSD TOOL that i have the newset verison
*memtest86 for 8 hours last night (no problems)
*tried all diffrent SATA ports
*tried diffrent SATA cables

im running out of options here guys... Please help me, i will be forever thankful!

BSOD:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1053

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: f4
BCP1: 0000000000000003
BCP2: FFFFFA800578EB30
BCP3: FFFFFA800578EE10
BCP4: FFFFF80003189460
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

See less See more
#3 ·
This is not an uncommon problem with nvidia chipsets and ssd drives. If you do a search on google for nforce chipset/ssd problems, you will see there are a LOT of issues.

You have done pretty much all the troubleshooting you can do with the components.

As to what the problem actually is, it appears to be an speed problem between the nforce controller and the drive ie the drive is too fast.
The nforce 750 was released 5+ years ago; before there were ssd type drives. This is a common problem with nforce chipsets; they claim to support a given piece of hardware and really do not or do not do it well. This same problem was seen when amd released dual core 939 CPUs; the nforce4 chipset claimed support however it just did not work.

Have you connected the drive to a modern system ie intel z68/ z77 or amd 990 chipset to make sure the drive in fact works?

#4 ·
Sorry to hear of your problem with the SSD, I installed a Intel 520 SSD on my first and only build 2 weeks ago and it installed flawlessly, I didn't update bios just set it to ACHI and let Windows 7 do everything else, then I installed the Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox software to check that all settings were correct and it found one thing I had to correct. All computers should have SSD's, 15 sec. boot times and smokin fast!!!
Here are my build specs...
Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4/3.8 Ghz Quad Core CPU
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H with USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s
G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1600 DDR3 RAM
Corsair TX650 V2 PSU
Intel 520 Series Cherryville 180GB SATA III (SSD)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.