SSD randomly stops working... but there aren't any black flags...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CarbonatedDan

hey, put this machine together just over a year ago, upgrading bits and bobs every few months // yesterday afternoon I got my second bluescreen (the first was a result of 6updater being poop) / something about a repage error // I tried to reboot the SSD wasn't detected / windows tried to boot from the old install on the Blue (which was the first drive in this PC) // removed the Blue / booted successfully from the SSD / assumed fault was with the Blue // two hours later PC crashed / again, the SSD wasn't detected / Hard Reset (PSU off, 20 seconds holding power button) and the SSD install booted fine / /started to run tests (in between crashes) Prime 95 - half hour - no crash - temps below 50C / Heaven 3.0 - fifteen minutes - temp below 55C - no crash / PC mark vantage - one run - no crash / HD Tune - all benches (that don't require a blank drive) and the health check - no errors - SSD speeds in excess of anand's benches of the M4 / installed Ubuntu on the Black, removed the SSD ran stable for two odd hours, longer than windows has on the SSD / swapped cables between the drives no change - windows crashes // so it looks like the problem is the SSD, not the mobo, but I don't know what's causing // I see two options: - reformat the SSD and reinstall windows and hope - RMA the SSD, in the mean time run windows from the HDDs EDIT where did my line breaks go?

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Since this is an SSD a firmware update may help you: http://www.crucial.com/support/firmware.aspx
Sometimes an SSD just needs a firmware update to restore it, my OCZ loved the destructive firmware updates, solved their random disappearing act and improved performance.

FYI, to start a new line simply press Enter, do not use slashes. Also the text automatically wraps to a new line once you reach the end of the line you are on so no need to manually add them unless you want too.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts