1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SSD Speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RMS-TITANIC, Jul 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RMS-TITANIC

RMS-TITANIC Thread Starter

Just had a question about my SDD speed:

I saw a great offer on an M2 (?) SDD on a tech site. While looking at other purchasers speed benchmarks, I noticed something interesting: after DL'ing Crystal DiskMark, it looked like the 'read speeds' on the existing SDD were O.K., but that the 'write speeds' were DISMAL. I'm in cluding a couple of screenshots of the existing one. Are those speeds really as horrendous as I think they are? I notice that it usually takes about 40 seconds to boot Windows 10, and that I very often get 'seizures' where the PC freezes up for a while, and writing on ANY of the drives is slow as molasses. I already just purchased a faster M2 SSD as I said, will this improve overall speed and the 'seizures'? because from what I can see the current speeds are pathetic (at least on writing)? I know virtually nothing about SDD speeds, but for an HP Omen 880, I'm shocked that it is not even as fast as my 6 year old HP Envy (from 2013!).

Attached Files:

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Since you already bought a new SSD. Then install that and let's concentrate on how to get Windows 10 to boot up and work faster.

1. Let Windows 10 automatically determine the pagefile size. Right click on This PC > Properties > Advanced system settings > Performance settings button > Advanced tab > Virtual memory Change button. Checkmark Automatically manage paging ...

2. Right click on Command and choose Run as admin. Then type "powercfg /h ON"
    This turns on the hibernation feature. And will make your machine boot faster.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

3rd thing to do: set Power button to do hibernation.

Open Control Panel and navigate to Hardware and Sound > Power Options.
    Click Choose what the power buttons do.
    Next click the Change Settings that are currently unavailable link. ...
    Check the Hibernate (Show in Power menu).
    Click on Save changes and that's it.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

M.2 is the drive type or format and there is a huge difference between a M.2 nvme type drive and a M.2 ssd drive. In addition some drive mfg have a driver that needs to be installed after windows is installed. Samsung M.2 drives need this done. The samsung driver does up the speed quite a bit over the windows native driver.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230678

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice