1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SSD speeds seem much slower since Spectre-Meltdown update

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Paul23, Jan 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned Thread Starter

First Name:
    Paul
    I have noticed since I updated my system because of the Spectre and Meltdown bug that my SSD's are not getting the same speeds as they were. I downloaded AS SSD benchmark previously and had checked my SSD's and they normally had run at around 450 mbps and 550 mbps. I have 3 SSD's in my system and of course have them all set to AHCI in the BIOS. I downloaded and flashed the new BIOS from Gigabyte's page. The bios version is named F23f (Update Intel ME for security vulnerabilities). Also downloaded and installed the new Chipset driver with the info on the side that says:Intel Management Engine Interface
    (Note) Please update the latest BIOS for ME Firmware before installing this driver.
    Update Intel ME for security vulnerabilities
    Installed the new patch from Microsoft to Windows 10 1709 version KB4054517. I now have been experiencing slower SSD speeds especially for the "Write" speeds. "Read" speeds seem to be the same, if not slightly slower. Is anyone else noticing this? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

3. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
  4. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Thanks for the info!

5. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

(y) No problem.

6. storage_man

storage_man

The OP needs to benchmark his cpu, because that's where the performance hit will occur with the fixes being provided today. When your CPU slows down, then your I/O take a performance hit. But he has a Gigabyte Mother Board, there is no fix as of yet for the Spectre problem for these boards. However today I learned that Google has found a way to protect the system and not lose much performance. http://bgr.com/2018/01/12/google-spectre-patch-retpoline-explainer-analysis/

7. Paul23

First Name:
    Paul
    Just posting this for INFO on the Z170X-UD5 (version 1) board. I updated my BIOS as soon as I found out about the Meltdown-Spectre Vulnerablility about 2 to 3 weeks ago. The new BIOS version was 23F on the Gigabyte site. I noticed a lot of degradation in speed of some of my SSD's. (especially the Sandisk) Speeds of 143 write and 267 read were what I was experiencing. Watched the new Britec video this morning about updating BIOS, so I went over to Gigabyte.com to check to make sure I had the latest. A new update of 23G was available. Text said "update CPU microcode" The previous update 23F text said "update to fix vulnerability" . After installing the new BIOS, I now am getting 380 write, and 410 read on the Sandisk SSD. No newer firmware update, or Windows 10 update is forthcoming. Guess I am up to date.

PM Find
    Edit Reply Pre Next

8. storage_man

storage_man

Yes that was good news. I installed it this AM and according to all of the "Spectre/Meltdown" checkers, my system is now safe ??????

I will probably re-benchmark my SSD's, but it will be depressing on what the new numbers look like. Unfortunately we all are stuck with these issues until new chip technology is announced.

Paul23 likes this.
  9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1202489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice