Solved SSD Upgrade Help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zaney1

I want to upgrade the 128Gb SATA SSD (Model: LITEON CV8-8E128-11 SATA 128Gb) in my Dell Inspiron 3470 to a Dell 512 GB Solid State Drive - M.2 2280 Internal - SATA The OS (Win 10 Home) resides on this drive (C).

I was thinking I can:

1. Partition the 1Tb HDD (Drive D)

1. Use Macrium Reflect and clone drive C to the partition (E for the sake of argument)
  2. Go into the BIOS and have the PC boot to drive E
  3. Then swap out the new 512Gb drive, clone E to C
  4. Go back into the BIOS and change to boot drive back to C
Not that I have ever done this, just seems the logical approach.

HOWEVER ~

I would prefer to get a USB adapter, clone C to the 512Gb upgrade, found on Amazon here, and just swap them out.
My problem is identifying the key of the new drive before purchasing the USB adapter.

I will appreciate any guidance on either method, as well as an easier route anyone might suggest.

Mind you, I've never done this before but I did use a Sabrent USB to SSD adapter to upgrade my laptop SSD. I muddled through and over a year later the laptop still breathes, so...

Thanks whether you can or can't help. Tech Support Guy people are a godsend to any old fogey like myself.

crjdriver

When you clone a drive, you do not partition or format the destination drive. Doing so usually messes up drive letters, causes boot problems, etc. If you really do not want to clean install windows, then most drive mfg have purpose designed cloning software available for download. It would be much better to use the software that is intended to work with your drive rather than using something like macrium.

Zaney1

When you clone a drive, you do not partition or format the destination drive. Doing so usually messes up drive letters, causes boot problems, etc. If you really do not want to clean install windows, then most drive mfg have purpose designed cloning software available for download. It would be much better to use the software that is intended to work with your drive rather than using something like macrium.
Thank you, crjdriver. I'll look into that then. But Dell has been less than helpful answering questions like what key the SSD is so I can buy the right adapter if I go that route. Thought I would as here. I appreciate your advice.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online