1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SSD upgrade on older Gateway Notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Navit3, Feb 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Navit3

Navit3 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1023 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9600/9700 Series, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 38051 MB, Free - 6117 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway, Gateway M675PRR
    Antivirus: PC Matic Super Shield, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Have 2.5" Hitachi Travelstar HHD 44pin IDE and hope that 128GB KingSpec SSD 2.5" PATA/IDE upgrade would be a workable upgrade. Any comments or recommendations would be appreciated.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Looking online your PC can have a maximum of 2x1GB of ram. I would get that as the first upgrade, it should make things faster all round.

The Kingspec SSD should work ok if it has an IDE connector but it will only speed up reading and writing operations, it won't speed anything else up.

EDIT : it's a very old PC, if you can afford it getting a whole new PC would be much better than upgrading the Gateway.

3. Navit3

Navit3 Thread Starter

Thank you for all input. It seems Gateway indicates that original Bios don't allow more than 1GB ram. Previously 2 1GB (All4memory) chips didn't activate for this reason, so were returned. Any idea if Bios upgrade might be available for M675PRR?

Since I can't afford a new Unit, I am looking for greater capacity rather than speed with the SSD unit. (Currently only have 10% free space on existing HHD.) The Kingspec does seem to have the correct size & pin configuration for IDE. But, once again, I wondered if the Bios would be compatible.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    I think it will take 2x1GB of Ram, as shown here :- http://panam.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/M675/3501731sp75.shtml

If your present Bios is older you can update to this one :- http://panam.gateway.com/support/dr... M675PRR BIOS version: 51.03.01&uid=443484228
    . Be sure the charger is powered and connected to the laptop before you do the update. There are some links on that webpage explaing what to do.

I'm fairly sure the Kingspec will work, I have a 60GB one that works in a laptop made in 2002 !

However if you want capacity rather than speed an ordinary mechanical hard drive will give you a lot more space for less money.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Gateway M675PRR laptop supports a maximum of 2 GB(1 GB X 2) of RAM.

It uses DDR PC2700(DDR333) or DDR PC3200(DDR400) modules.

Using the most feature-rich and system-hungry version of Windows 7 in that old laptop doesn't help any with speed and performance.

---------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143497

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice