1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SSDs and Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by FrankSinatra, Dec 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankSinatra

FrankSinatra Thread Starter

I'm just wondering about the possibility of swapping out the 500gb hard drive on the 17" Macbook Pro (current model) with a 2.5" SATA SSD. I don't know what the speeds of Apple's SSDs are, and along with the price, I'd rather buy a OCZ drive that is many times faster and a little cheaper.

Could I clone the two drives easy with a hard drive cloner?

2. rkarolak

rkarolak

You should be able to use a program such as SuperDuper to copy your hard drive's contents over without any problems, as long as there is the space to do so. You'll also want a USB or FW Serial-ATA adapter for your SSD so you can do the copying ahead of time. Just make sure you can find a SSD that is big enough to hold everything that's on your 500gb drive. Solid State drives are much more smaller in capacity as well as more expensive. It might be better and easier to create a new install of MacOS on the SSD and then move over the documents you need from your old HDD.

3. Areswindows7

Areswindows7

SSDs are more expensive then external hard drives, around $2-3 per Gigabyte. This may seem pricey as compared with standard hard disks and get up to 2 Terabyte cap. Most Mac users never come close to filling up large drives. New Imacs have 1 TB drives in them. All depends on your pocketbook

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/969831

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice