SSD's and motherboards

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HQentity

Hello all!!

I was considering upgrading my single HD to an SSD with windows 7 for booting, and having my original HD as storage, but i wasn't sure how easy this is to pull off? I have my Windows 7 disk, but will it work for the SSD? Since I installed windows, I have changed the RAM and added a graphics card, if I change the HD will it still register as the same PC? And will the SSD run on my motherboard?

Motherboard ------------------------ ASRock N68C-S UCC (CPUSocket)

Current HD (to be secondary)--------- 488GB Seagate ST350041 8AS SCSI Disk Device (ATA)

Likely SSD -------------------------- SanDisk SDSSDX-120G-G25 120GB Extreme SATA III

Also, Will I need to install programs that i want the best performance for onto the SSD? Will the performance still be limited by the original HD?

If it helps to have any other specs please ask :)

Thankyou!!!!

Triple6

Rob
Your Windows disc will of course work with an SSD, upgrading hardware such as RAM and a hard drive are normal upgrades. If you have any any trouble with Windows Activation simply call the number on the screen and they will activate it over the phone in a few minutes.

Your motherboard should work with an SSD, however since it's an older SATA II motherboard any new SATA III SSD will be limited by the motherboard but it'll still be much faster then any mechanical hard drive.

Nothing will be limited by the HDD UNLESS it's installed on the HDD, whatever you want to run fast just install or place on the SSD.

crjdriver

One thing you might want to do is to pull the pw connector from your old mech hard drive prior to starting the install process. I have seen a few instances of win setup putting the boot config data file on the mech drive. Once you have completed the install process, updates, installed whatever apps, etc, then pw OFF and reconnect your mech drive. Win7 will assign the next available drive letter to the drive.

When you do the install, make sure the sata controller is set to ahci mode rather than ide mode. This will give you the full advantage of a ssd drive.

FWIW you will be amazed by the increase in speed. When I first installed a ssd a few years ago, I was VERY impressed with the speed increase. BTW I had to get one since T6 above had just gotten one :)

I used to have 2 raptor drives in raid0 and the single ssd just blew away the 2 raptor drives. In addition if you have ever sat and listened to 2 raptor drives running, you will be VERY happy with the silent ssd drive. I used to call the raptor drives rock crushers since that is what they sound like when running :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online