SSID problem with security

simmer14

Hi
I've installed a d-link DWL-8610AP access point by connecting to my Virgin Media Hub 3.0 using an ethernet cable. I have to say, I'm very much a novice when it comes to networks. After initially setting up, the SSID appeared as Dlink1 in available connections. However, there was no security on this so I went back into the admin console to apply security. The only place I could find in the admin console where it semed I could do this was under a submenu called VAP (Virtual Access Point) settings. I changed the SSID called 'Dlink1' to 'Kitchen' and updated. The SSID appeared on my mobile devices and requsted a password to connect. Bingo!!

But....I noticed the Dlink1 SSID is still showing and this is not secured. I thought it may have been because the device had been connected previously but even new devices find it and can connect without a password.

After going back into the admin console, I can't find anywhere where this 'Dlink' SSID is in order to remove it. Any ideas, please?

Manual here: //www.manualslib.com/products/D-Link-Dwl-8610ap-3806756.html

******EDIT********
It seems the VAP I've set up called 'Kitchen' is actually a segment of the actual LAN so I can understand why it hasn;t changed the actual SSID. Now I just need a pointer as to where to go to rename the device.

Attachments

Last edited:

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Per the manual, Dlink1 is the default SSID for VAP0. Since you've changed it to Kitchen, you should no longer see DLink1 any more.

simmer14

Per the manual, Dlink1 is the default SSID for VAP0. Since you've changed it to Kitchen, you should no longer see DLink1 any more.
That's my problem. I now have 2 connections on show dlink1 which is unsecured and kitchen which is password protected.

JesseJamez55

Jesse
I'm not sure if I am allowed to chime in here but the network might be showing a different SSID for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.

For example:

2.4Ghz might be Dlink1

5Ghz might be Kitchen

Hope this helps

simmer14

Hello,

I just noticed your edit to the post.

Check out page 557 of the manual.
Thanks for the reply but this is the crazy thing for me: the manual I get returned when googling the DWL-8610ap has images of a GUI which bears no resemblance to my admin interface. Compare your suggestion of page 557 with my screenshot above, for instance.

The only place I could see SSID being displayed as Dlink1, I changed to kitchen so thought that would be the simple thing to do but now have both SSIDs showing up on devices. :{

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online