1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SSL websites

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by kmcmullin, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmcmullin

kmcmullin Thread Starter

I have a computer that is running Windows 98 2nd edition and has Internet Explorer 6.0. I cannot access web pages with login screens. i keep getting a DNS error message. I have used the suggestions that the webpage gives me like checking the boxes marked use SSL 2.0 and 3.0 in the Internet Options-- Advanced tab. Still nothing. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi,
    There is a pretty good reply to just about the same -problem you have: Try what is posted there

http://forums.techguy.org/t321899.html

If all the users of the computer know all of their login info, usernames and passwords, it may help if you delete Cookies. I know, it doesn't have anything to do with DNS, but not getting to login may be from old, invalid cookies.
    I am assuming you are trying logins to secure websites, like a bank...most of them require a secure login.

In Internet Explorer- Tools>Internet Options, Trusted sites...do your sites still show? Are there any strange entries?

When you search online, are you sent to a page you did not want to go to?

There can be other causes, too. Apparently, you can go to most sites except those that require login,,,,this site does so I am guessing you used another computer to post, is that correct?

Next- do you have other computer connected there in a network arrangement, through a router to get online with cable or DSL?

You can do this with Disk Cleanup but it does not completely remove them well.

Usually, manual deletion will work. Their will be one file at least that Windows will not want to delete, and that is normal...the file index.dat will not delete so skip over that one. First run Disk Cleanup while offline, no web pages open....and dump Temporary Internet Files and check all offline content.

Dump Cookies.

Then, in Windows Explorer> Navigate to the C:\Windows\Cookies folder on the left, so they all show over on the right, left click on the first cookie, then move down a ways, but do not include index.dat in the bunch, hold the Shift key down and click the last cookie, so they are all highlighted in blue and you are set to hit the Delete key....give it time to finish. Get them all, you do not need them, sites that you go to will give you a new one. The first time you go back to sites that use logins, you will have to log in manually.

((You should try this for one of the sites that does not work...as a way to test it, but you will have to look all through the cookies and delete all that are for that site...then, try that site to see if it helps.)) It might not...

In that case, I would say for you to post a Hijackthis log so we can see if anything running is doing this>

To use Hijackthis.exe, you must make a folder for it somewhere in a permanent location, like the My Documents folder...use Windows Explorer, highlight My Documents, then at the top File>New>Folder and rename the folder to HijackThis or something you like, and download the file to that folder, run it from there, and use the "Scan and save a log" button....the log will open Notepad... open a Reply to your thread back here at TSG, go back to your open logfile, at the top hit EDIT>Select All, then EDIT>Copy, go to the blank space of the reply window, at the top of your browser hit EDIT>Paste and the log will be loaded to your reply, then click on Submit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323039

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice