1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stack Overflow Problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by doogdoog, Apr 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha,
    Last night I ran Norton's disk doctor and it found some bad dates so it corrected it. I rebooted the computer and it came up to windows ok. This morning I booted up the computer and it came up with this message before windows was completed:

"Terminating thread due to a stack overflow problem. A VXD, possibly recently installed, has consumed too much stack space. Increase the settings of "MinSPs" in system.Ini or remove recently installed VXD's. There are currently 5 SP's allocated".

I rebooted the computer and it booted up to windows ok. How can I check the stack space, check the settings of "MinSPs" in system.Ini and also check if there are still 5 SP's allocated. Also how do I increase the setting of "MinSPs" in system.Ini and how much should I increase it by?? Since windows came up ok after the second reboot, did it automatically fix itself?? TIA

Win98SE
    Tyan S1854 Trinity 400 mobo
    Intel 800mhz processor

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

The message indicates that there are currently 5 SPs (Stack Pages) assigned, 2 of which are the default Spare Stacks (if there is NOT already a MinSPs entry).

In order to stop the overflow, we need to increase the number of Spares by 4. The MinSPs= setting determines the number of SPARE stack pages that Windows keeps to loan out to drivers that end up using more than the one they are each allocated.

A stack is a reserved piece of memory. When drivers are fired up, they are given a 4k page of memory to use as a kind of "scratch pad" to do certain operations. This is a stack page. Some drivers end up needing a bit more than one page so Windows, by default, keeps two pages to loan out. The pages kept for loan are known as MinSPs.

Do Start > Run > SYSTEM.INI

Scroll to the [386Enh] section
    Look for a MinSPs entry. If you find one, add 4 to the number.

If you don't find one, we will increase the 2 spares by 4, so add the line
    MinSPs=6

Save and reboot

Eg:
    [386Enh]
    MinSPs=6

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];149083

(Judiously plagiarized & paraphrased from posts by SteveYandl of PC911)

3. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha Whit Phi.,
    Thanks for the reply and I looked at the system.ini and this is what it showed:
    [386Enh]
    device=*COMBUFF
    device=TURBOVCD.VXD
    ebios=*ebios
    woafont=dosapp.fon
    device=*dynapage
    device=*vpd
    device=*int13
    device=*enable
    keyboard=*vkd
    display=*vdd,*vflatd
    mouse=*vmouse,msmouse.vxd
    MinPagingFileSize=261652
    PagingDrive=C:

Do I just write it in at the end or is there someother place that it should go. TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

It just has to go after the [386enh] and before the next section (identified by having brackets around it).

So the easiest way is to just make it the second line, as in my post above.

5. doogdoog

doogdoog Thread Starter

Aloha WhitPhil,
    Thanks for the reply and will do. TIA

Mahalo,
    doogdoog
    (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216891

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice