1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stack Overflow

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by robbieart, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. robbieart

robbieart Thread Starter

I received a computer from work that everyone thought was a POS and not worth keeping. It had been sitting in a back room for over a year so I am assuming that it is and old computer. After numberous POST errors I was able to get the computer to start up and recognize all the drives. The HD is only a 2 gig drive but I was just going to use as a backup HD.... This is my problem. I was installing win98 on the drive but I wanted to format it first. I run fdisk... reboot... I try to format but it gets to about 25% and I receive this error message...

An internal stack overflow has caused this session to be halted. Change the stacks setting in your config.sys file and then try again.

What does this mean and how can I fix it?

Everything else seems to work fine.

It doesn't matter what drive I use either. I have an old 400mb hd and it does the same thing.

Also when the bios detects the hd it gives me 3 different options for the drive:

1: LBA (?)
    2: Normal
    3: Large

What is this and which one should I try.

This is the hd specs:

Samsung WA32162A
    CYL 4186 HD 16, SEC 63, 2.16GB

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You want LBA. Can you access the bios setup and disable any power management items.

3. ~Candy~

4. robbieart

robbieart Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick replies....

First, just for clarification.. What is LBA?

Second, MS doesn't have anything on the KB about my issue that was helpful...

I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help.`

5. robbieart

robbieart Thread Starter

sorry and to answer your question. all power management is disabled.

6. ~Candy~

I posted the MS article just in case you were booting out to dos to attempt the fdisk and format. You are using a boot floppy disk, correct?

LBA

Short for logical block addressing, a method used with disc drives to translate the cylinder, head, and sector specifications of the drive into addresses that can be used by an enhanced BIOS. LBA is used with drives that are larger than 528 Mbytes.

With the smaller drive, I don't think you should get the choice.

7. robbieart

robbieart Thread Starter

You are right about the smaller drive... It didn't give me the choice.

8. ~Candy~

And my other Q? How are you getting to the fdisk prompt? Are you booting with a bootable floppy disk?

9. robbieart

robbieart Thread Starter

Yes, I have a bootable floppy disk to run fdisk and format from.

10. ~Candy~

Is it a Windows 98 boot disk?

Can you download one from here so I know what we are working with?

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

Save to desktop, NOT to floppy....double click on it and follow instructions....then boot with that disk and try fdisk and go from there. You are setting active partition too, correct?

11. robbieart

robbieart Thread Starter

Yes, it is a windows 98 boot disk. I have used this disk 100 times before so I know it is valid and works. Yes I have set the partition active. Everything as far as I know should be working...

I downloaded it and I am putting on a disk now.

I'll let you know how it comes out.

12. ~Candy~

Another thought here......the drive may have had EZ-Bios installed on it....you don't see anything like ezbios loading prior to the floppy boot disk loading do you? Something like 'to boot to floppy' hold ctrl-A?

13. ~Candy~

Another thing to look for in your bios setup is ACPI.....

14. robbieart

robbieart Thread Starter

The drive had ez-bios on it but I thought I had taken it off when i ran fdisk (and fdisk /mbr) I tried looking online for a program or something to get rid of it but with no luck.

After I ran fdisk /mbr it hasn't showed up since.

Where would I find ACPI?

15. ~Candy~

ACPI somewhere in the bios setup maybe............BUT, since you said the drive had ezbios on it......you are more than likely going to need to put it back on anyway. Do you have a Maxtor EZ-Bios setup floppy? I can email you one that should work. Basically the software takes over the formatting for you. It will tell you if your bios doesn't support the size of the drive....which I'm guessing it doesn't, so it loads the ez-bios software and sets the drive up for you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171290

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice