1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stack Overflow

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Lindee, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

I have been advised to start a new thread for my continuing problem of Windows freezing while I am trying to print. This morning I got a blue screen that read:

"Terminating thread due to a stack overflow problem. A VXD, possible recently installed, has caused too much stack space. Increase the setting of MinSps in SYSTEM.INI or remove recently installed VXDs. There are currently 5 sps allocated."

I tried to install WinXP about a month ago, but had so many problems, I had to uninstall it. I have been experiencing Windows freezing, mainly while I am trying to print something. I welcome your ideas. Thank you.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hi Lindee; the "no spare stacks" error is easily fixed, and just might help with the freezing as well.

From start, run system.ini (it will open in Notepad)

Find the [386Enh] header and add the following line under it:

MinSPs=8

(observe case, it might be important)

Close the file and save the changes. Rebooting is necessary for it to take effect. Different folks have different formulas for addressing this, the exact number is not critical as long as you add the line and increment it by a value of 4 if you continue to get error messages like that.

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q149083

3. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

Thanks Rollin' Rog, I'll give it a try.....Lindee

4. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

Hi Rollin Rog,

I was able to fix the stack overflow problem with your help. I still am having a problem with my HP printer freezing when trying to print. It seems when I am in a MS Word document and choose the printing settings to make any changes and hit print it freezes. Any other ideas? I have downloaded the current drivers.
    Lindee

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

The last time I looked you had both McAfee and Norton antivirus in your startup. This is really a no-no; you should only have one, personally I would recommend you dump McAfee if you haven't already.

To further rule out conflicts if necessary, before loading a Word document, try end tasking everything except Explorer and Systray and do a test print. Anything in the close programs window except those could be a potential source of conflict.

Also I forget which Office version you have (I don't use any of them), but I believe they have a "repair" option. I would try running that. You may have a virus damaged file. Look under the Office Help menu for any such option.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice