1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Staggered boot, Norton

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by spiers, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

Hi,
    Im running Norton Internet Security 2004, which includes Norton AV on XP Pro.
    The problem is when i boot, about 5 programs boot very quickly (5 items in the taskbar appear).
    So it seems the PC has booted, you can load Firefox, games anything and its fast.
    But after about twenty seconds from the initial booted items appear, Norton AV and Ineternet Security appear, using CPU.
    I would like these two to boot with the other items as i like everything to be working and running before i try to run anything else, especially because both are to do with security.
    Any ideas why these items are delayed at booting up?
    Thanks.

2. unbidden

unbidden

3. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

Hi,
    They booted with the other programs on the last load up(y) .
    If they dont in the next two boots i will try that program you listed.
    Another question i have Flight Simulator 2004 on my pc. It used to run fine, but now when i execute the program it hangs on the splash screen for about 1 minute before it loads anything.
    The PC isnt loading or flashing so its not actually trying to load, it just hangs, like the CPU isnt giving flight sim any time.
    The only thing i can think which is causing it to lag is the size of the Flight Sim folder due to add-ons.

Im sure on initial install it should be 3-4GB but my folder is 9.44 GB.
    Its not fragmented according to Diskeeper.

4. unbidden

unbidden

Just a couple suggestions:

Back up the game folder - uninstall / reinstall the game. The uninstall will usually retain all your settings...... but no guarantee.
    Look on the game site for any patches concerning loading and or graphics problems.
    Look for updated graphics and chipset drivers as well as activeX.
    Be sure to set a restore point before trying any of the above.

5. spiers

spiers Thread Starter

Hi,
    The program did not work.
    Ive just noticed, some items will boot and then after afew minutes the floppy drive will flash and make a noise like it is being accessed.
    I think this is probably Norton scanning it, there is no disc inserted at the time.
    I am considering removing Norton.
    Its been great for the years ive had it, i know what accesses the internet and it userability is amazing, not annoying like Zone Alarm.
    I just dont want to spend the time configuring another firewall and AV as it may take 30 minutes or so.
    But Norton is 2 years old now and i am at risk of attack if i dont upgrade.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

If you upgrade to newer Norton, you will have even more system drag. It's time to find something different. I recommend www.nod32.com. You would not believe how free your system will run.

7. pllobell

pllobell

I agree with Rich-M. Lose Norton, it's the worst system hog. I fix computers all the time, Norton is the first thing I remove. I've never used nod32 but I have been using AVG Free (http://free.grisoft.com) for about two years now on every computer I've touched and it works great.

8. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

What new Norton?

Been running it for 2 months now and it has no more "drag" than any of the previous versions, that I have been running for the last 10 years!

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

6 or 7 they get progressively worse.

10. unbidden

unbidden

I'm a thumbs up on Nod32. I'm test driving Comodo firewall. Concerning Norton - MacAfee - Panda and the like; if you pump your system up to a gig of RAM things may run smoother.

11. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Noticed absolutely no difference.

Note that this is the AV by itself. If it's included with NIS or NSW then any of the "sluggishness" is more likely to be related to those components.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice