Stalled email download

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

samtooth6

Using Windows XP and Outlook Express and a very slow dial-up connection. Occassionally, I will be downloading my email in the morning and someone has sent me a very large file which might take an hour or so to download. While the file (usually pictures) is downloading, it slows my computer to a crawl. Is there a way that I can locate this email prior to its downloading and delete it in its entirety so I can regain effective use of my computer? I have been unable to find this answer in Outlook Express "Help". This morning, I have been downloading something for over 2 hours and it still isn't done; meanwhile no other emails can come through until this darn thing has been downloaded. Thanks in advance for your help.

Couriant

James
Usually your ISP/Email provider has a web-based mail where you can view it anywhere. Which email provider do you have?

samtooth6

My ISP is Prodigy, which is now owned by SBC/Yahoo. As you suggesting that there's a way to stop and eliminate an email once it has started to download?

Couriant

James
Just cancel it. It will take a while. You can force close it by CTRL ALT DEL.

I guess go to www.prodigy.com and sign in to look for Web Mail. I can't do that since I'm not a member

samtooth6

I've tried canceling it, which is all fine until I reopen my email. Once I reopen, it's there again and doesn't go away until it's downloaded. That's my question. How do I ELIMINATE it? Canceling it only cancels until I reopen Outlook Express. Until that particular email downloads, nothing else will come through.

Couriant

James
Don't reopen Outlook until you delete it from the server. You will need to go to your email account via the website.

There are other freeware programs like this. Give this one a try or search for others. Configure basic information and set a size limit of email you wish to allow through OE. When you run Spam Pro, it will delete it automatically - and you can delete manually if you wish. Then you open up OE and bring in the valid emails. Be sure to get the freeware one.

http://www.acmetoolz.com/pop3cln.html

sekirt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online