1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stalling and shut downs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by trailblazer, Dec 14, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trailblazer

trailblazer Thread Starter

I built myself a 550 AMD w/4gb hard drive 56k 64mb sdram PC100. lately is has been shuttind down or stalling or freezing in the middle of programs I thought it was the files so I fdisked it but it is still doing this when I try to load my operating system.

What could be the cause of it stalling in the middle of loading windows or stopping in the middle of a reboot or stopping in the 23% format??

Any help desperately needed!!

2. Whypick1

Whypick1

well, if that processor is an Athlon, it could be the RAM or the Power supply. AMD Athlons (early ones in particular) need AMD-Approved RAM and PSU or else stability is finicky.

------------------
    Just remember, i could be wrong.

3. trailblazer

Well last night I tried changing the RAm and it still acted up. I finally got it to load windows and I get this error when it is starting windows 95 for the first time:

Having trouble intializing IOS
    Windows protection error

I also noticed that the fan wasn't starting up every time I rebooted. What do you think?

4. Slick_Nic

Slick_Nic

I have a similar problem..while in the middle of the game "Star Craft" my computer will sometimes close and act as if it wasnt even open. Also when shutting down my computer itll say "shutting down computer" but it just freazes there untill i do it the manual way.

p.s.This is a veryy helpful website...new user here...first post [​IMG]

5. LarryCore

LarryCore

If you have a fan that isn't always spinning, replace it right away.

CPUs get VERY hot, and overheating is one of the main causes of shutdown / lockups.

------------------
    Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
    LarryCore begs for money

Vote for the best Tech Support site every day: VOTE for Helponthe.net!

6. trailblazer

I replaced it with a CPU Cooler Best Cooler for celeron 370 & AMD-k6-III ball bearing fan it is bigger than the kiwi cpu fan which was also ball bearing.
    I reloaded windows with the new fan and everything seems to go better but when I do the final reboot I still get the IOS error message. Do you think the cpu was damaged to much to fully function or could it be something else.

7. LarryCore

LarryCore

Could have been damaged, yes, but could also be a driver issue.

What motherboard brand / model is it? Some boards require patches for their IDE drivers for instance, to avoid problems.

Does it boot in Safe Mode?

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

8. trailblazer

The receipt saays mb 7100 the largest chip on the board says ALi M1542-A1. Hope this helps.

9. LarryCore

LarryCore

Is this Windows 95 or 98?

The ALI chipset and AMD CPU do sometimes need a patch to fix the error you are getting.

Can you find anything more on that motherboard? 7100 doesn't tell me enough.

------------------
    LarryCore begs for money

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/34567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice