1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

stand alone programs

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by Hect, Nov 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hect

Hect Thread Starter

I have Access 2000 and VB I know that I cannot create a stand alone program with Access that will run on someone else's computer without having Access installed on that computer. I am aware that there is a developers version of Access that will allow me to do this. I have made stand alone programs with Visual Basic. My question: Can I create a VB program that uses an Access database and is a stand alone program that will run on a computer without either of these application being installed on it? The programs that I have made so far in VB created their own database and did not use Access. If so, how do I do this? Do I import the Access database into VB?

2. TimCottee

TimCottee

Hect:

You can indeed create a VB application which will use an access database. You do not need to have access installed on the machine but you do need to have the VB runtimes installed as well as any additional components that you use. Fortunately the p&d wizard included with VB comes to the rescue here as the installation package that you create will install and register these necessary files. All that you need to do is to create the database structure and default data in access, add this .mdb file to your VB application installation package (after of course having written your vb application to reference this database) and then install the resulting package on your target machine(s).

This is a very common thing to do and works well in most cases.

3. Hect

Hect Thread Starter

Thank you Tim. That is what I wanted to know. Maybe you can answer another question for me. I have an old version of VB and want to get a new one. What is the difference between VB6 and VB.net??? Which one should I get?

4. TimCottee

TimCottee

The difference between VB6 and VB.NET, well where do I start? VB.Net is part of the Microsoft strategy which encompasses the CLR (Common Language Runtime) C# and other things. It is a much more object-oriented language than VB6 and will probably be more powerful than existing VB. Having said that there is a fairly steep learning curve with VB.NET I think and I have not had as much time to look at it as I would like. I don't think that VB6 will disappear in the near future as a development platform as there is such a large base of applications and developers using it that it will continue to be used for perhaps 5 years or so before people eventually and gradually move towards .NET or it successor.

If you have experience with VB4 or 5 then moving to VB6 is no great leap in your knowledge, there are a number of features that were not available in earlier versions and you can easily upgrade existing applications. Moving to VB.NET will require much more in the way of learning first and the process of upgrading existing applications is by no means as simple.

5. Hect

Hect Thread Starter

I currently have VB4 and thought that I should get something newer. I'll have to give it some thought. Thanks again for your help and advice.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58825

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice