1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Standalone chkdsk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by JimBarclay, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JimBarclay

JimBarclay Thread Starter

At the outset let me admit I've spent my life working with UNIX and I am woefully ignorant about Windows internals. Following bad advice from my own employers help desk I've locked myself out of my own PC. I have a tool based on Linux that can blank the passwords. Unfortunately, when I run it it says the file system is dirty and needs to run chkdsk. It then mounts it read only. Therefore when I change the password that isn't written back. Is there a way to boot up with enough DOS to simply run chkdsk and fix this file system?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What OS?

If XP:

There are a few options. You could boot from the XP CD and choose "R" to enter the Recovery Console. You would need the Admi password there, uless the requirement was removed in policy. The syntax in the RC is: chkdsk drive: /p
    or a more thorough check and recovery can be done with /r.

The disk can also be checked and repaired from this bootable floppy:

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/NTFSchk.exe

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!