1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Standard Pci Graphics Question

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by STUPIDGIRL, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. STUPIDGIRL

STUPIDGIRL Thread Starter

I recently reinstalled win 98se on a hp pavilion 6333 comp. now I cannot change the screen resolution off of 640 x 480. Someone said that I need to download a new driver but I don't know what driver to download or where to find it. I don't think this comp. has a graphics card, I think it is sort of built in so I can't find it by the manufacturer. the motherboard is a Asus SPAX 1.01 and the BIOS is Phoenix Tech. LTD 6.00 07/08/98.
    Any Ideas???????

2. mezzo

mezzo

With HP you should use the recovery disks that come with the computer. They should have all the viedo drivers required for the on-board video. If you used a "normal" win98 OS disk, that could be your problem as it wouldn't have the drivers specific for your on-board video...I don't think.

Also you have two different hp models listed on your first post 6333 and 6644f. Have you tried contacting the hp site...searching for drivers or maybe emailing them about aquiring the specific recovery disks for your model...

Try looking in device manager and see if any speicfic info is listed about the on-board video...you might be able to track down the driver if you can find out which card.

Hope this helps a little.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Or, since the HP site states you have an on-board SiS chip for video, go here:
    http://www.sis.com/support/support_prodid.htm
    Download and run the identificatio tool, if the HP site is correct for your model you will get the driver to download.

4. STUPIDGIRL

STUPIDGIRL Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. It has at least gotten me in the right direction but unfortunately I can't get those drivers to work.

Until I can get the correct driver I can't get online with that computer. The driver that keeps coming up as the one I need is SiS 5597/5598, so I saved it to a cd and downloaded it onto the other pc but now whenever I go to change the screen resolution it says it needs to restart, so I restart then I get an error message: A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0337:00005603.
    The above mentioned driver is 1.13 version, someone said I might need the 1.0 version but every time I find a download for that version and I click on the download button, there is never a download, it always just takes me to another web site and there are NO download buttons there.
    Does anyone know of a graphics card that is compatible with this pc? I am looking for something really really cheap. This computer is just for my 5 year old daughter, she has some cd-rom programs that won't run on win xp so I'm fixing this one up just for her.

Thanks again and please any more ideas "will be perfection".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!