1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Standard User Rights

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by LinuxOS, Jun 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LinuxOS

LinuxOS Thread Starter

Dear All,

Could you please give me your advice on how\is that possible to allow a specific Standard Domain User to execute a specific software? Its about a software for a printer that is printing ID Cards? I already installed it to that user with Admin rights, but when that user is trying to RUN that software is asking again for Domain Admin Credentials? Is there any method\way? Thanks so much in advance.

Regards,

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

What's the software package in question? Instead of giving them Admin rights per se, there may be a permissions issue in the Registry for the program and this could be modified.

3. LinuxOS

LinuxOS Thread Starter

Hi lochlomonder,
    Thanks for your reply! As I already mentioned, its about a ID Card printer that user need to use that software to prepare\design ID Cards and after that to print to that Zebra printer. As I already mentioned, every time when that user is trying to execute that software he is getting that windows asking for admin credentials. Every-time he is calling me so I have to show up there and to put admin credentials for that software to run? I hope I was clear this time. Regards,

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Hey, LinuxOS.

No, I need further specificity. I understand it was software for the ID card printer; however, what's the name of the actual software? There is a way to give elevated privileges to run a program using the Runas command, but this will leave a big hole in your security since it can be utilized to run more than the target program with those elevated privileges. That's why I avoided recommending this originally, and I'm looking at a more targeted approach. It may be the software is trying to reference a key / keys in the Registry which don't have the requisite permissions for a Standard User, and a change there may suffice. That's why the software package name is key (pardon the pun!)

5. LinuxOS

LinuxOS Thread Starter

Hey lochlomonder,
    Exact name of that software is " CardStudio v1.2 Professional Edition(Card Design Software) " by Jessica Smith www.zebra.com! I hope I have provided enough information's. Regards!

6. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Thanks, LinuxOS.

There are three ways we could look at this: First, either using the Runas command, which is insecure and more of a last-gasp attempt if all else fails. Secondly, using Process Monitor to watch what the card ID program is doing when interfacing with the OS, to determine which Registry keys are being accessed and then check the securities on them afterward. However, this is a deep dive and might cause even more confusion. Lastly, and I think this may pay the best dividends, I was reading up on the product and came across this guide. On P.8, it gives contact information for technical support for the product. They may be able to give information on why the product is looking for elevated rights, and then suggestions on how to accommodate this within your domain.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211769

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice