1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Standard Windows Config

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ttull, Sep 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ttull

ttull Thread Starter

This seems like a simple thing and I'm probably missing the obvious - what I want to do is have a standard layout of running programs with the windows in their proper position. In effect, I want to have 4 or 5 programs start on startup, or with one click of an icon, and all of the programs open, size and be in the position I have selected.

I am running Vista Home Premium on an AMD 9500 Quad-Core 2.20 GHz with Nvidia cards driving three monitors. If needed, I am willing to purchase additional software or go to another version of Vista.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

tim

2. gurutech

gurutech

Do you have the standard "Vista" drivers installed for your video card? Try downloading the NVidia drivers - it comes with a utility that should allow you to do what you are looking for.

3. ttull

ttull Thread Starter

Gurutech - thanks for your reply. I downloaded the drivers from Nvidia and it seems like that program is no longer included or if it is, I can't find it. I installed the drivers and all is well on the video side but when I look in Programs and the Nvidia - there is only one program and it has to do with video game development.

Any other ideas or do you knon where I can get that program from Nvidia?

Thanks
    tim

4. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Have you tried a .bat file? Or perhaps a Perl script?

5. ttull

ttull Thread Starter

Shadow - I thought about a .bat file but I don't know how to restore the screen positions. It will start the programs but, to the best of my knowledge, only max or minimized. Pearl is beyond my knowledge base.

Thanks
    tim

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

Position each program where you want it, then close them. They should remember their start position and sizes. There could be an options setting to enable that ("remember last position on close", or save settings now).

If they won't re-open with the previous size and position settings, and there is nothing in the options of the program, try holding the control key down when clicking the X to close the program. If that doesn't work, hold ctrl while clicking File | Close (or the equivalent). Last resort, complain to the software author.:mad:

Once they will open at the correct positions, just copy the the Icon you click to start the program into the Start | All Programs | Startup folder.

HTH

Jerry

7. gurutech

gurutech

You can also try holding the CTRL key as you close each window by double-clicking the top-LEFT of each window (the program icon...)

That worked on previous versions of Windows, haven't tried it on Vista myself...

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    BUT every time you change the windows size and then close it, the new size will be remembered. So once you get this set up and working, you will NOT ever want to make ANY changes to the viewing window of ANY of these programs. You will ALWAYS need to use them in the reduced size.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753232

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice