1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Standbar toolbar missing in Windows Explorer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by melonhead, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

I'm using windows xp.

When I right click on Start and then go to Explorer, my standard toolbar and buttons are missing. I've tried everything - right clicking, that only gives me the choice to close the "toolbar" which are just all the folders on the left on the screen.

When I go to my computer from the start menu on XP, the standard toolbar and buttons are there, just missing when I right click on the start menu.

I could live without it, but it is my habit to get to my folders that way and it is really annoying not to have the menu options.

Thanks for all your helpl.

2. slipmatt

slipmatt

Sorry if i'm stating the obvious :confused: why not go to Tools ==>Folder Options ==>View and change some of the settings to your preferences, maybe try some of the options in "View" as well (y)

3. Dan O

Dan O

Is the row missing as well?

How about the Address menu, is it missing as well?

Try selecting Start, Run, type: SFC /SCANNOW

Click OK. It will check the Windows system files and replace any missing or damage files.

4. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, all the toolbars and address bars are miissing. I can't go up to "tools" because that toolbar is missing also. I'm going to run the scan disk and see if that helps.

5. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Dan I ran the scan now. It went through the file protection, and when it reached 100% it just quit. Does it usually give you a status or something? No tool bar was there.

Thank you.

6. msandi

msandi

I'm having the same problem. When I open a folder normally (not by right-clicking) I don't have my toolbars or my menus. But what I did do is right-click and Explore, then I have menus. Then I chose under the View menu --> Toolbars --> uncheck Lock the Toolbars

That will let you give you a resize arrow to resize the area above the file names, types, etc.

But even then, in the windows that I open normally, I get the resize arrow, but I can't resize anything!

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

I was just wondering if we could find out what version of Internet Explorer is running on this system?

8. msandi

msandi

Please see this thread: Missing buttons in Explorer windows

Also it refers to this website:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555130

It worked perfectly for me. I definitely had to delete the ShellBrowser ITBarLayout

9. Dan O

Dan O

Melonhead,

Did you fix the problem?

MSandI,

Great link!

10. WebKing27

WebKing27

If I can understand your problem... There are two problems.
    1. is you are not getting the folder view in windows explorer. [right?]
    2. I am able to get that, if you could explain a bit further will be helpful.

For the first one....
    You can start Windows Explorer by pressing WinKey + E [WinKey is in the middle of CTRL and ALT at left]
    Now while you are in windows explorer hold down ALT key and press V E O
    This will show the folders on left... ATB

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/144916