Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Standby Issue (USB keyboard and mouse)

915 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  stever26 
#1 ·
Hi all, hope everyone is well.

I wonder if anybody can help. Until recently when I had my Logitach wireless keyboard and mouse plugged in via PS2 connection my XP Pro box went into standby perfectly. Worked like a charm.

However, recently I had cause to plug in the mouse and keyboard via the USB port (for some bizarre reason that I haven't figured I could not get them to work together in the PS2 ports anymore - but are fine in a USB port though - odd) and now XP goes into standby fine BUT all the PCs fans are still purring away as is I think is the HD.

It seems that since I am now on "USB wake up" the PC thinks that it needs to stay powered up. The point of standby for me is to kill the noise and the poswer consumption!

Has anybody seen this before and have any ideas how to remedy? Is this how it's supposed to work - does USB need the power to regognise a wake up call from the keyboard/mouse?

Thanks a lot.

Steve

See less See more
#2 ·
if your fans and HDD are still running, then your PC is not going into stand-by fine.

since they first introduced it, stand-by mode has been known to cause stability issues and system "screw-ups", such as the problem you are having right now. I won't use stand-by mode for this reason

my advice would be:
1. plug your input devices back into the PS2 ports you had them in before
2. run system restore to a date prior to the problem
3. don't use stand-by anymore

good luck :)

#3 ·
Thanks for reply.

Mmmm...yes I could certainly put them back in the PS2 ports and try and get the keyb/mouse to work again but I use standby all of the time and it was precisely when I changed them to USB that the standby stopped working. It used to work fine prior to this change.

Any other thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.