Standby Mode Not Working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Jack Young

Since installing Windows XP SP2 (upgrade from SP1) I noticed that Standby does not function. When I manually go to Standby, or if my laptop tries to go into Standby as per the power management settings I have set, I get the following message: "Standby has been prevented by the Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard device driver. You may need to install an updated driver."

Any ideas on what I can try. I have tried uninstalling the keyboard in safe mode and rebooting to reinstall the keyboard drivers. I have also checked my BIOS settings, and tried resetting the power management settings. I have even updated my ATI video adapter drivers. I noticed the problem shortly after installing SP2. There are no updated drivers available from Gateway for the keyboard.

My system specs are:
Gateway 600 YG2 Notebook
Windows XP Pro SP2
Intel Pentium 4-M 2.2GHz
512 MB SDRAM
60GB 7200 RPM HDD
ATI Radeon 9000-M 64MB
ESS Allegro WDM
Combo CD/RW DVD

Try seeing if there is any processes for that under task manager and see if it is msconfig

Jack Young

After talking to Gateway, they were no help, I got an idea.
I went to Google and copied and pasted an exact copy of the error message I received. Google took me to this site:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=814149
After following the instructions and rebooting, my Standby works again!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Members online