1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Standby not working with Media Edition

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WileECoyoteSG, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WileECoyoteSG

WileECoyoteSG Thread Starter

Hi, everyone, new to the Forum. Hope to get some help.

I just loaded Media Edition on my computer and neither the hibernate or standby mode work on mine either or the monitor shut down after so many minutes.

I was using a my nephew's unactivated version of Media Edition until mine arrived and was not having this problem. Since loading my copy, these things will not work.

Do you think I need to reload Windows? :eek:

2. Dan O

Dan O

The wrong Display drivers can cause the problem to occur.

Download the latest and install them.

3. WileECoyoteSG

Reload drivers, no go!

4. WileECoyoteSG

Ran it, found cookies, deleted them, rebooted, still no screen saver or standby.:confused:

5. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Are you using a LCD monitor? If so or not please go get the newest drivers for the video card. But I still want to know about the moniter?

6. WileECoyoteSG

Yes, using LCD but in analog mode as I am also having a problem getting the DVI to work. Have the newest drivers for the vid card.

7. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Ok since you are using a LCD monitor you really do not need all of the stand-by, hibernate, and power options they are basically for CRT type monitors. Also they kind of clash or interfere with each other anyway. You can actually turn off a lot of these in Control Panel, Power Options and set everything in there to never jsut by clicking the little down arrows and then turn off hibernate then hit apply

You can leave the screen saver on for show and you will be all set.

8. WileECoyoteSG

So then do you recommend a complete shutdown everynite instead of a standby or hibernate? I guess curosity is just getting the better or me and want to know why those functions would work with another Media disc and not this one.

Thanx.

9. Dan O

Dan O

I normally use Standby, which powers down the hard drive and monitor. The problem may be a BIOS issue. You can try to go to the PC's manufacture's support web site and download the latest BIOS and install it. I seen it fix many PCs. Or you may have to do an in-place reinstall of Windows to get it to work.

10. WileECoyoteSG

I will try both and let you know. Thanks.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice