1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Standby or Hibernate

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Snugglebug, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Snugglebug

Snugglebug Thread Starter

Hello, I just wanted to know if I can use standby or hibernate while I am running only a P2P program on xp home.

2. boyoh53

boyoh53

Snugglebug, you can forget about Hibernate anway. ;-)

3. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Neither really, not while using a p2p app, because a p2p app writes to the hard drive, and all suspend does it stop spinning the hard drive and power down anything unneccart.

I'd like to know why boyoh53 is so anti hibernation. To me its fine when i leave for longer than three hours expecting to come home right back to the comp, though lately i have been leaving it on for [email protected]

4. boyoh53

boyoh53

Hi Whiteskin, no i'm not anti-hibernate, I use it half a dozen times a day or more sometimes. I meant I knew about hibernate but not standby. ;-)

5. Snugglebug

Snugglebug Thread Starter

Thanks Boyoh53 and Whiteskin,,,was hoping to save some power because I leave my computer on for days at a time...I do however turn my monitor off.

6. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Which is good. YOr monitor does take alot of power. (unless it's an lcd)

7. cpuhack.com

cpuhack.com

That's about the best you can do to conserve power. You can check the BIOS settings for your system to see if you have the option to power down the HDD after a set time period of inactivity too. That might save a few mW...but...unfortunately, computers use lots o' power these days. ;)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169915

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice