1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Standby vrs Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Julee99, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Julee99

Julee99 Thread Starter

Internet Explorer will not start when computer is restarted from Standby mode but does when started from a complete shutdown or from restart. Error message displays reinstalling IE and then I must Restart. I think that since it works fine from cold I should be able to find a misset setting or something else that isn't turned on or off. Everything else works A-OK all the time. Using Windows 98.

2. Emtronics

Emtronics

I have never heard of this one but I doubt that there is a setting in IE that will correct your problem. Standby in Win98 has been troublesome on some computer configurations. I suggest you not use it but instead try suspend of the monitor and hardrive for XX amount of minutes. (XX = is whatever you like). This is found by RIGHT clicking the desktop and choosing PROPERTIES and then the Screen Saver tab. There is a button at the bottom that says Settings... Choose a time for the monitor and the hardrive leaving the others at "Always On" and "Never".

You might want to try the Internet Explorer Repair Tool by going to the Control Panel, ADD/REMOVE Programs Icon and then highlight "MicroSoft Internet Explorer" and click the ADD/REMOVE button. This should give you some choices one of which should be "Repair Internet Explorer". Maybe, and this is just a guess, that a shared .dll or somthing is not unloading properly and hanging yout IE.

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    You may want to try turning off the setting that's powering down the hardrive and see if it works after that.

Start>Settings>ControlPanel>PowerManagement. Now in the boxed titled "Turn off Hardrives", select "Never" and click on Apply. Now see if it works after coming back from Standby.

4. Julee99

Julee99 Thread Starter

I will try the suggestions. I have run the Norton Windoctor over the weekend and it has determined that hal.dll file is missing. It also found a few other errors and has supposedly "fixed" them. Could this missing file cause my problem? If so is there any place to find hal.dll? Thanks again

5. Emtronics

Emtronics

hal.dll isn't a Windows file, or I should say a file that comes with Windows 98xx. It must be a file that came with some software you have on your computer. I doubt that is your problem file. In my opinion Norton Windoctor will tell you something is corrupt or wrong everytime you run it. I just don't trust it. Not to say it's a bad program, I just think it can give false reports on some computer configurations. I would trust the System File Checker that comes with Win98 more. (It has it's drawbacks too) You can find this program by going to START/Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Information and then clicking under the TOOLS menu. Try the suggestions posted first and let us know how you are making out.

6. Julee99

Julee99 Thread Starter

:) Thanks for the last suggestion. Have gone from Standby to online a few times with no problems, so all appears well. Although this was quite a minor problem, I went to the System File Checker and then ran IE Repair Tool as instructed. However, I was unable to find the Repair INternet Explorer as directed from your post of 1-11-02. I really appreciate the help and thanks again!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice