1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stange Stuttering just started.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ariain, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ariain

Ariain Thread Starter

My PC was working fine a day ago, I had it at my girlfriends house and it was perfect then I brought it home hooked it up and no I get a stuttering of the mouse and music and such every now and then. I tried re installing windows in and that was no help I am not sure what is causing it I have anti virus running and spybot and still no go. I recently got a 160GB WD SE hard drive but everything was working great after install so I dont think that is it. I have a GA 7DX MOBO with lastest bios. 768 MB of PC 2100 ram. The hard drive a GEforce 3 and a TDK Burner and Creative DVDrom. Any suggestions are greatly appericated. Also running XP Pro and Office XP w/frontpage.

2. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

3. Ariain

Ariain Thread Starter

Sadly I wish that were it. I have a optical mouse and its not the mouse thats just the most noticable thing its the computer itself. If running winamp or somthing such the music with stutter. The computer basicly just locks up for a second at a time randomly. I am thinking it cant be the software due to the fact that I did a complete reinstall of windows xp pro i na new directory not overwriting the old one. I guess I will just start removing pieces of hardware at a time till I find the culprit. I also have windows 98,2000 pro and 2000 server on a different 13GB drive I will try to run them and see if the stuttering is there as well If it is it must be the hardware. Sorry for the rabbling just brainstorming. =) Again any thoughts on where to look first would be very appreicated.

4. Mr_Webmaster

Mr_Webmaster

re-install the drivers
    is it a wireless mouse? If yes, replace the batteries.
    get another mouse and use it to see if it is the mouse that is the problem.
    If's it's a PS/2 mouse, Get or borrow a USB mouse (the PS/2 port may have gone bad)
    If it's a USB mouse, get a PS/2 mouse and see if that works, or get a USB to PS/2 converter and see if that works.
    Take your mouse to a friend's computer and see it is stutters there.

The list goes on and on.

5. Ariain

Ariain Thread Starter

Again its not the mouse that was just one of the noticable side effects. I know its not the mouse because I can play a mp3 and the mp3 will stutter many times per song for no reason. I just did a low levle format on my main hard drive then did a fresh install of XP pro and still have the problem without installing anything but what windows did. So its not software, I unhooked both my CDR and my DVD drives and still had the problem I switched out both my RAM sticks and still had the issue. I disabled the onboard sound I use and installed another sound card. Still had the issue. All that is really left is Hard drive, Mobo and Video Card. So I will be swapping the Hard Drive with my old one tonight doing a full format and fresh install. If that doesnt work, I will borrow my friends Geforce4 and swap my 3 out if that still doesnt work my MoBo must have been damamaged somehow and will need to be replaced I really hope it not that. Thanks again for any suggestions that could save me time/money. This is really frustrating me. =)

6. Ariain

Ariain Thread Starter

It was the WD160GB SE drive not sure whats wrong with it but replacing the drive fixed the issue.

7. dai

dai

you have probably jarred it when moving does not take much
    run the drive checker from wd on it you may get an rma on it from them

8. Ariain

Ariain Thread Starter

I just bought it under a 2 weeks ago so I am still good on the return policy from where I bought it. Just gonna swap it out and hope everything works ok. =)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice