1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stange Windows98 Rebooting...

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Computer_Addict, Dec 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Computer_Addict

Computer_Addict Thread Starter

Today I was viewing a forum online, and all of a sudden Windows 98 reboots automatically. This was very strange. I scanned my computer for viruses using the latest virus updates, but no viruses were found. What is the cause of Windows rebooting automatically?

2. Dan O

Dan O

Run DRWATSON which should capture what application and the event causing the reboot. Post what is reported and we will try to help.

3. Toddles18

Toddles18

I know an overworked powersupply will sometimes cut out and cause the system to re-boot, used to happen in one of my old computers when second cd drive I added would spin up at the same time as the other one.

4. Computer_Addict

OK I ran DR. Watson and this is all that appeared in the "Diagnosis" box:

"Dr. Watson found nothing obviously unusual."

5. john_waldrum

john_waldrum

Is it rebooting often and if so how long does it run before this happens? There are many reasons for this to happen, heat is one, processor will shut down the computer if it get too hot.

6. Computer_Addict

No it doesn't reboot often. In fact, this only happend to me on two times. It happend earlier in the year, and it happend today. I leave my PC all the time. When I do leave it on, it's mostly in 'Stand by' mode. But today I didn't have it in stand by mode.

7. john_waldrum

john_waldrum

You might pull the cover and look inside and see if there is a lot of lint built up. My buddies computer did the same thing and it turned out that his heatsink was clogged with lint causing the overheating of the cpu and thus causing the system to shutdown.
    Just a thought. It is just a process of elimination here.

8. Dan O

Dan O

Good ideas John. Also check that all fans are clean and working. Some CPU's have a fan as well, check it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice