1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Stanley Cup Playoffs 2004! (Red Wings Got Their Arse Kicked!)

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by angelize56, Oct 6, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts Thread Starter

A thread to put articles of interest related to the 2003-2004 hockey season. Unfortunately the first story is a sad one. :( Brings back memories of the Red Wing's crash that destroyed Vladdy's hockey career. :( Take care. angel

Thrashers Player Dies 6 Days After Wreck

By PAUL NEWBERRY
    AP Sports Writer

ATLANTA (AP) -- All-Star Dany Heatley was charged Monday with vehicular homicide after the death of Atlanta Thrashers teammate Dan Snyder, who was fatally injured when Heatley's sports car ran off a road.

A spokesman for the district attorney's office, Erik Friedly, said the charge was based on a preliminary finding that Heatley was driving recklessly. It carries a prison sentence of three to 15 years.

Snyder died at a hospital Sunday night, six days after sustaining severe brain injuries in the wreck. He was 25.

Heatley had already been charged with serious injury by vehicle, but that charge was dropped after the vehicular homicide count was filed. He also still faces four misdemeanor counts, each of which are punishable by up to a year in prison. He is free on $50,000 bond.

Police said Heatley was driving his Ferrari at about 80 mph on a narrow two-lane road Sept. 29 when he lost control, spun off the road and smashed into a brick and wrought iron fence.

Snyder, who was a passenger in the car, underwent surgery for a skull fracture but remained in a coma until his death.

"We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of Dan Snyder," the Thrashers said in a statement. "Dan was a teammate and friend to all of us. We feel a tremendous amount of pain as an organization and extend deepest sympathies to his family."

The case has yet to be presented to a grand jury, which would decide on the formal charges, Friedly said. Prosecutors are waiting for more evidence before taking their case to the grand jury.

Police were also awaiting test results to determine if Heatley was drinking on the night of the wreck. There is "no conclusive indication" that Heatley was drinking, Friedly said.

Heatley and Snyder had been at an event for season-ticket holders at Philips Arena shortly before the crash.

Snyder, a center who had 10 goals and four assists in 36 games for Atlanta last season, had surgery on his ankle in September before the start of training camp. He was expected to start the season on the injured list.

Snyder signed with the Thrashers as a free agent in 1999 after playing four seasons of junior hockey for Owen Sound in the Ontario Hockey League.

"The news of his passing fills all of us with an overwhelming sense of sorrow," NHL commissioner Gary Bettman said.

Los Angeles Kings forward Sean Avery played three years with Snyder in Owen Sound.

"He was such a strong guy, such a fighter," Avery said. "I figured he would battle though this like he did everything else. I never, ever thought this would happen."

Snyder spent most of his first three professional seasons in the minor leagues, helping Orlando win the International Hockey League title in 2000-01 and playing on the Chicago Wolves' American Hockey League championship team in 2001-02. He also played 35 games for Chicago last season, getting 11 goals and 12 assists.

Heatley, the 22-year-old gap-toothed leader of the team, also was injured in the crash.

He underwent surgery Saturday for a broken jaw and an MRI found two torn ligaments in his right knee. He will undergo knee surgery in about a week, certainly threatening any return to the ice this season.

Last season, he scored a team-record 41 goals and was MVP of the All-Star game.

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts Thread Starter

Better news for Penguin's fans. :)

Oct 6, 5:31 PM EDT

Penguins Reach Contract Terms With Fleury

By ALAN ROBINSON
    AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- The Pittsburgh Penguins reached terms Monday with No. 1 draft pick Marc-Andre Fleury, just beating a signing deadline that would have forced him to spend the season in junior hockey.

The deal avoided a potential public relations disaster for the Penguins, who were under considerable pressure to sign their first No. 1 pick since Mario Lemieux in 1984. It also means Fleury could begin the season as their starting goaltender at age 18.

Fleury's signing came a few hours after the Carolina Hurricanes reached terms with forward Eric Staal, the No. 2 pick in the draft.

Fleury was the Penguins' best goalie during the preseason, but had only until 3 p.m. Monday to reach terms or he would have been forced to return to juniors.

Coach Eddie Olczyk and owner-player Lemieux wanted Fleury on the team, but said it was up to general manager Craig Patrick to work out terms.

"This is a relief. It's more than we wanted (to pay) but I'm glad it's over with and we'll make the best of it," Patrick said.

Patrick said the top consideration for signing Fleury now was the fact he could become an unrestricted free agent in spring 2005 if a deal wasn't done by then.

"We felt we made a good pick by moving up in the draft to pick him and we didn't want that to slip away," Patrick said.

Olczyk doesn't know how much or how quickly Fleury will play. The Penguins have one of the NHL's youngest - and it would seem least talented - teams so over exposing Fleury as a rookie could be detrimental to his development.

"We'll see as the season goes along," said Olczyk, whose team opens Friday night against Los Angeles. "He's lived up to the hype but I don't want to read too much into what he did in an exhibition schedule when he didn't have to face a full squad."

Without a deal, Fleury would have returned to his junior team, Cape Breton of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

Fleury spent the preseason with the Penguins, but returned to Montreal on Thursday after the team made what his agents called a below-market offer for a No. 1 pick. The two sides continued to negotiate over the weekend.

Fleury played in four of the Penguins' seven exhibition games and had the best goals-against average (2.26) and save percentage (.923) of the three goalies still on their roster.

The signing means Jean-Sebastien Aubin likely will return to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton (AHL) and Sebastien Caron, Pittsburgh's starter at the end of last season, will split time with Fleury.

3. 700mb80min

700mb80min Banned

Great goalie who i`ve seen play numerous times at an arena in my town , for the " Cape Breton Screaming Eagles ". He`s just a kid so i hope they don`t burn him out with this signing.

4. moonmist

moonmist

He may be just a kid.......but hes a damn good goalie. I'm glad they signed him.....but I think another year with the Screaming Eagles wouldnt hurt him at all. Of course then i could see him when he comes to play the Moosheads :D

700mb80min: So you live in Sydney eh? :D

5. Prrebel

Prrebel

Good call guys. Goalies and Defencemen tend to have a larger learning curve then forwards. That is to say that those 2 positions are harder to learn and develop. Look at the Mr. big equiptment, Giguere. He was drafted by the Whalers for god sakes. How long did it take him to mature.

Go Habs! Go Ryder!

6. Gibble

Gibble

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=56348&hubName=nhl

Tootoo makes the final cut in Nashville

Canadian Press - 10/6/2003

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (CP) - A frozen lip courtesy of the dentist almost silenced an ecstatic Jordin Tootoo on Monday after the 20-year-old from Rankin Inlet, Nunavut, found out he had earned a spot in the Nashville Predators' lineup.

``Fantastic,'' Tootoo said from Nashville. ``I can barely talk right now.''

The five-foot-nine, 195-pound sparkplug of a player will become the first hockey player of Inuit descent to play in a National Hockey League game when the Predators host the Anaheim Mighty Ducks on Thursday in the season opener.

``It definitely meant a lot to me,'' Tootoo said. ``It's something I've always wanted to accomplish and now it's happening.''

Tootoo's Inuk father Barney, his Ukrainian mother Rose and his sister Corinne and her family will make the trek from Rankin Inlet, a town of about 2,500 people just south of the Arctic Circle, to watch Tootoo's NHL debut in Nashville.

``I'm just taking it as another game, but you know at the same time it's going to be a huge part of my life,'' he said. ``I'm just going to go out there and do what I do best and that's agitate their other players and try and get a win.''

Although Tootoo had an excellent training camp, he went into his meeting with team management on Monday with some trepidation.

``I had no clue what they were going to tell me,'' said Tootoo. ``I was kind of nervous to step in that room, but once I stepped in there, they had smiles on their face and that kind of gave me a little boost. Once they told me, I was speechless. I didn't say a word.''

Tootoo has been a longshot to make it through his entire hockey career and has repeatedly overcome the odds. He didn't start playing organized hockey until he was 14.

Some felt he was too small to play junior, but he became a star for the Western Hockey League's Brandon Wheat Kings with his high-scoring and hard-hitting ways. He was a fan favourite in Halifax at the 2003 world junior hockey championship and signed a three-year contract with the Predators in May.

The Predators had taken a gamble on him in the 2001 draft, selecting him in the fourth round (98th overall).

In only his second NHL camp - his first rookie camp was cancelled due to the terrorist attacks in 2001 - he has claimed one of 13 spots at forward.

Tootoo's brother, Terence, who played in the minor pro leagues, committed suicide just over a year ago and his younger brother will be thinking about him Thursday when he achieves a dream they both had.

``The first game is obviously going to be an honour to Terance,'' he said.

GM David Poile said during training camp that Tootoo gave the Predators something they had been lacking and that's a player who could set or change the emotional tone of the game with a big hit or a high-energy shift.

The Predators assigned Scottie Upshall, their first overall pick in 2002, to their AHL team in Milwaukee on Wednesday. Veteran forward Jim McKenzie will start the season on the injured list due to a knee strain. When he is healthy, Tootoo could find himself still battling to remain with the parent club.

``The hardest part is yet to come and that's to stay in the NHL,'' said Tootoo. ``I've made one step and now I've got to keep proceeding.''

Tootoo scored his first two pre-season goals on the weekend, but had already earned management's approval by throwing his trademark powerful checks and drawing penalties.

``You know the way I play,'' he said. ``It's an up-tempo game with a lot of excitement and I've been playing that way in the pre-season so far and I want to keep doing it.''

7. Prrebel

Prrebel

OK...it hasn't been called Rankin Inlet now for over a year. It's Iqaluit.

He is a great player to watch and cheer. He could put a$$es in the seats himself. He can score, he can hit, he's like one of those "superballs"

8. Gibble

Gibble

Yep, I remember at the world juniors he was fun to watch, he got a few penalties though for things that in the NHL would be great plays.

I remember him coming off the bench and charging straight at an opponent and checked him into the boards. Layed the guy flat on the ice. Unfortunately because he took more than three strides to get the check it was a penalty (or something like that, I'm a little unclear on international rules) but in the NHL, that would be a play that would get his team fired up, and he wouldn't have gotten a penalty.

I can't wait to watch this guy play pro.

9. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

So how do I draft tattoo for my team, Gibble?

10. Gibble

Gibble

he's not available yet...I've been wanting to draft some rookies who just signed as well, but they haven't been added to the league...we just have to wait.

11. Prrebel

Prrebel

I am guessing though, that they will be added as "wavier" picks so everyone will get a shot? C'mon, your the commish...make it happen :)

12. moonmist

moonmist

Well good for Tootoo........he was amazing to watch, hes gonna go along way. After hearing the story about his brother during the World Juniors.......my heart kinda went out to him.......so im happy he's doing well.

13. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

DULUTH, Ga. (AP) -- Atlanta Thrashers All-Star Dany Heatley faces the added burden of a vehicular homicide charge in the death of teammate Dan Snyder.

``He's an emotional wreck,'' said Heatley's attorney, Ed Garland. ``He's grieving the tragic death of Dan Snyder. That's been almost his entire focus.''

Snyder died at a hospital Sunday night, six days after sustaining severe brain injuries in a horrific car crash in Heatley's sports car. Snyder was 25.

Heatley, the 22-year-old leader of the team, also was injured.

He had surgery Saturday for a broken jaw and an MRI found two torn ligaments in his right knee. Garland said that Heatley was released briefly from the hospital Monday to spend time with family, but he'll return to have knee surgery Tuesday.

Garland said Heatley hoped to attend Snyder's funeral Friday in Elmira, Ontario, with the rest of the team. He must receive clearance from the authorities, Garland said.

Last season, Heatley scored a team-record 41 goals and was MVP of the All-Star game.

Crappy story for all involved. :(

14. moonmist

moonmist

Yeah Lan........tragic story all the way around. :(

15. Prrebel

Prrebel

Heatley has been given clearence to attend Snyder's funeral.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169997

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice