1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

STAPLES warranty, a slap in the face, warning

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by bp936, Nov 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

:confused: so I brought my desktop, Staples'own brand XPLIO in for a noisy fan and slow modem, less than 1 year old, still under warranty and with extended 3 year purchased warranty.
    Asked them to check out the noise and test if the modem is a faulty one. Upon their call to come in, since they couldn't find anything wrong, :confused: this is what happened:
    1:modem= internet connections is fine (found out they tested only on DSL cable, I can only connect per dial-up) tried to make me feel, I am the idiot.(really??) I can connect with 2 other laptops same phonejack,same ISP, same location in my house, at twice or more speed. They blamed AVG on my computer, deleted it,(??) but have AVG on all of my computers.
    2: nothing wrong with fan. They let it run for a whole day and heard nothing. (IDIOTS) I specifically told them, noise happens after a cold start.
    3/))) So now THEY WANTED $ 48,-- for service. I refused.
    4.)) StoreClerk called Staples Warranty 1-800- number for what to do with me now:rolleyes:
    5) Girl asked me if I understand,:mad: my computer is now only $ 90,- worth therefore they would give me a Giftcertificate for 190 Dollars generously(n) towards the purchase of a new computer.

I refused to pay until storemanager let me take my computer home, unpaid, unrepaired, unhappy.:mad: :mad: :mad:

I wish I would be a swearing type person, I was very close to using words not fitting for a grandmother like me.
    What the --- is a Warranty good for when nowhere did it say :( they will refuse to fix hardware or will charge for service still under warranty.

p.s. by the way, this is the first time I had a problem with Staples, I am dealing with them when they still were called "BUSINESS DEPOT"

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Hmm, sounds like a bad team at the store.
    Know any large male friends to go ask for you?

Hate to admit it, but I'm a shy quiet guy, and had trouble with Radio Shack once.
    Only when my Dad went in for me did I end up with a whole new system.
    They had damaged the first one after sending it in for a noisy fan. :(

Maybe you need a swearing type person to go in on your behalf. :D
    Or one that is much more demanding and wont take no for an answer.
    Have em go right to the manager..explain the issue and demand things be fixed.

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

If they tested a DSL connection and not a dial up, then they havent carried out the right tests. It couldbe they misunderstood whatyou told them ( this is me being diplomatic) and thought you meant you couldnt connect at all. Personally I would take it back and tell them EXACTLY what the prob is in short words with gaps between them, and talk loudly. In england we find this is often the only way to get through to some people.
    As for the noisy fan, well, I guess it depends. When I start up, I usually get a lot of fan noise, then it quietens down, but thats normal for me. If it started rrecently, it could be a dirt accumulation, in which case a quick clean might do the trick.
    However, if they want money for testing, I think the words off and frog spring to mind. Whether the fault is permanent or intermittent, its still under warranty. Just because they cannot replicate it doesnt mean it doesnt exist. If you get nowhere, ask for a replacement, this is often covered by warranty. Check the fine print, but in a lot of items I have it states they will try and repair x times, if they cannot fix after that, you get a new one which may be a recon of similar value and/or spec.
    Hope you get some joy with this, I for one am SICK of warranties that are meaningless and have too many wriggle out clauses.

4. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

thank, guys, I just might take a big friend of my husband's with me, tough looking, I never heard him swear, but who knows, he got a bad deal with his laptop (Dell and never wants to deal with them, bugged them until it got fixed, screen went within 2 weeks). I have explained to 3 (three) people at Staples, that the fan noise was new, and with the modem that my 2 laptops and even my old Compaq connect faster on the same line - same phoneplug at the same hour,is too slow on the XPLIO . Now I found out that they fired that kid in the meantime, who wrote up the order for repair, but I will go to another store, they all honor warranty apparently at any STAPLES location and I will insist on repair, the noise is getting worse.
    I also hate warranties that are not kept,
    And I am not impressed, that STAPLES own brand of computer, XPLIO, that they are trying to brake into the market, is not worth for them to repair, just what does this say about their product??

5. coolkev

coolkev

Just wanted to let you all know, there is now way to test dial up at the store, we dont have that sort of connection, we can only test by wireless, or Ethernet connection. and you said you got the extended warranty, we will only do work for free if you got that TSP plan that starts from the date of purchase. The extended plan is just what it says, it extends the warranty of one year after the Manufacture warranty of one year, so for the first year you have to go through them, and then after that year you can come to use.

6. Davec

Davec Gone but never forgotten

You don't have a phone jack?

And I bet the salesperson took great pains to explain that when she bought it.

7. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

sorry coolkev, XPLIO is Staples own brand, so where else would I go? And yes, I WAS TOLD, to bring any problems to the store and they would send it for repair, or fix it in the store. I have this computer less than one year and did buy two extra years of warranty. I am not happy with them having to send the unit who knows where. also hate to unplug everything again when they insisted, nothing is wrong. By now it sounds like an airplane is coughing before the propeller gets really going.
    So why are Sales people and Repair personnel not listen to their customers? I am in customer service all my life and our company would have fired me a long time ago if I treated customer like that.

8. steveie85

steveie85

I own my own business and if I say I will fix it then I will. I will even hook it up and let you do your thing so I can see whats going on and exactly what you mean. I might even be able to complete the repairs while you wait. Your problems are ones I could test and repair in less then 30min!! Thats even when I am working on 3 other systems at the same time!! Now I know why I never went to staples to get my first computer!!

9. simple simon

simple simon

Well having bought a monitor and an extended warrenty at PCWorld which is now giving trouble I'm having a devil of a job getting them to honour that warrenty. (n) (n) (n)

Three times I've called the helpline and had my details taken - they were supposed to call me back to arrange collection did not do so. (n) (n) (n)

I tried again and was told that I have a business warrenty so must ring a different number during the day. but I cant as I'm at work (someone else can take calls and be in at home to see the repair technician when (s)he calls). :confused: :confused: :confused:

I've found that they have an online fault reporting system, if that dont work I'll have no choice but take them to court. This is what trading standards said I should do.

Simon

ps, a court case will see me wanting compensation too, eg: if I take time off work I'll lose a day's pay, so I'll be looking for compensation for that too...

:mad:

10. steveie85

steveie85

Some people don't have it but if you do just get firm and tell them how its gona be. If you start to show how mad you are and that you have no problem taking your business else where. Tell them that if they don't decide to repair/replace within 24hrs you will take them to court and make it very costly for them. That will get them movin.

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

People generally don't respond well to hostility. You get much farther by being nice. Threatening to sue will just make you a fascinating story at their dinner table. They're not going to start tap dancing.

It's notorious for things to not make noise when taken in for repairs. Happens all the time with cars. If the fan truly now sounds as bad as you described, anyone should be able to hear it immediately. I would also think you might be able to make out exactly where the problem is.

12. steveie85

steveie85

I start nice but if they refuse to listen or do anything to satisfy me then I start getting hostile. Its the only way to get anywhere sometimes.

13. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I start nice and when they refuse to listen I get quieter. They tend to listen more closely then.

14. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

I could put a new fan in myself, but the question is, what is the warranty for? It says, if a non certified person opens up the case, warranty becomes null and void. I am still debating which way to go, I just don't have time to argue with Staples at this time *too busy) but will not give up. Luckily my Toshiba works fine.
    The reason I insist on warranty service, since this time I bought this heavily advertised Staples' (XPLIO)own brand and who knows what else will go wrong.
    Just as an FYI, I still have an Acer, 14 years old that is running (naturally not enough speed and room for today's applications but in working order, never needed repair) have a Compaq Presario, 9 years old (son took it) and a 6 year old Toshiba (daughter took it) laptop battery does not recharge but we never used that option anyway. They all work and I put more memory in myself or a faster modem and videocard, cleaned the powerfan etc.
    Then the new Toshiba 1 year old/ So I think I know enough about computers (not necessary about programs) . I hate when the salesguys act if they know more, therefore won't listen.
    Stevie is right, one has to learn to fix yourself so not to be ripped off. I am not sure if I could ever become loud and mean, I am too polite, but I hate to be ripped off and lied too.
    DHelix ,and cars are another matter or nightmare . So true

15. steveie85

steveie85

bp936, I would be glad to get mean on the phone with them lol. Its my specialty. I do it daily when the suppliers at the grocery store I work at mess up(lets say before I started it was common and it don't happen to much now!!:D ). Also get firm with suppliers for my side business(which is computers). I have great fun in making them give me what I want!!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649156

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice